1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Shared Printer Problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Neocratic, Sep 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Neocratic

Neocratic Thread Starter

OK dont know if this should be in networking or winxp but here goes:

I have 5 PC's networked, 3 wireless connections and 2 wired PC's

All PC's have WinXP pro in stalled and nework fine. Sharing, mapping and transfering of files is no problem between any of the PC's

I have a HP 2170 all in one usb printer connected to my main PC. This PC I just reformatted and reinstalled windows on. I went through all my normal set ups and shared my normal drives and the printer with no problems.

Problem I am now having though is that 2 of the PC's will not print to the shared printer on the main PC. I have deleted the old shared printer from the 2 that are having problems and when trying to print I just get an error saying I do not have permission and to contact my network admin. This happens on both of the PC's that wont print. The 2 that can print obviously have no problems but 1 of them I did nothing on and it is using the old settings before the reformat and still prints with no problem. The other PC I have deleted and readded the shared printer with no problems.

Both the PC's that are having problems I have taken all security software off and still get the same problem.

Totally stumped......any ideas from anyone would be appreciated

2. yankeebean

yankeebean

you could make sure simple file sharing is turned on, on the troubled machines

goto > my computer > tools > folder options > veiw

then restart

3. Neocratic

Neocratic Thread Starter

I am sorry, I can not find nor have I heard of 'simple file sharing'. can you please elaborate on this?

thanks

4. yankeebean

yankeebean

follw the steps

goto > my computer > tools > folder options > veiw

then look foor simple file sharing (2nd or 3rd from the bottom

or run the network wizard again

5. Neocratic

Neocratic Thread Starter

found it.... sorry, laptop is winxp home, all other pc's are winxp pro. home edition doesnt have simple file sharing and it is already enabled on the other pc (winxp pro) that also can not print.

as an added, file sharing is not a problem. I can share files between any pc and any other pc on the network. this is only a problem with the actual printing. the printer is seen and gets added to the pc's with no problem

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/502398

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice