1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Shared Printer Problems

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by bruce9969, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bruce9969

bruce9969 Thread Starter

I am trying to add a network printer to my Vista Laptop and find that it says that I do not have permision to do this. The printer I am trying to connect to is shared and I am using it wirelessly on another XP machine. All of the help I have read says to right click the printer and use it as an administrator. That would work if I could get the printer onto this machine in the first place. I am pretty sure my user profile is that of an administrator. I have connectivity to all other computers on my LAN. Any suggestions?

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Easiest way is to add the printer in Control Panel then add the printer as a networked printer using the tcp/ip address the router can give you.

3. bruce9969

bruce9969 Thread Starter

The printer is hanging off of the desktop LPT1. Does it have an IP address?

4. bruce9969

bruce9969 Thread Starter

Also, network is set to autmatically detect IP address so the IP could change.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes it does...

6. bruce9969

bruce9969 Thread Starter

I gave it the IP of the computer it was hanging off of and let it scan and it came back reporting that it was not found on the network. I clicked the custom radio button. I selected the correct printer driver and it reported that I successfully added an HP Laserjet 5. I printed a test page and it is sill trying to print with no success. Did I do anything wrong?

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

No the ip address of the printer is not the same as the computer...go into the router with a browser screen and find the ip address of the printer.

8. bruce9969

bruce9969 Thread Starter

I can't find anything in the router that remotely resembles a printer in the router on any page. Linksys wrt54g.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yeah I just realized that won't work...try "browse"instead through the other pc making sure the other pc is on and the printer is on.

10. bruce9969

bruce9969 Thread Starter

I have browsed through the other computer. I can find the printer. I can monitor documents that are being printed, but I cannot connect to it. It says Access Denied.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!