1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Shared Printer seen, but won't print

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MX823, Aug 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MX823

MX823 Thread Starter

I am trying to be able to print via shared printer on a home network.

The desktop where the printer is connected is running Vista home Premium, the laptop(s) that I would like to be able to print from are running windows xp.

I have created a shared printer on the desktop running vista, at first when I went to add a printer to the laptop I was able to view the desktop computer but not the printer..... turning off the Norton Anti-virus firewall allowed for me to then see the printer on the network....(windows firewall is turned on)

After adding the printing and making it the default printer..... I am still unable to print. It sees the printer even shows in the printer que (when a doc is pending on the desktop) but then job is not finished and never begins to print..... and disappears from the printer que.....

Any thoughts?? Is there a setting in norton anit-virus that is blocking ??? Or could it be windows defender?

The desktop is brand new...

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This sounds like a port specification issue, or perhaps a driver issue on the remote machine. How did you install the drivers for the remote machine, and what version of Windows is running on the remote client?

3. MX823

MX823 Thread Starter

I did not install a print driver on the wireless laptop.... since it had worked before when the shared printer (the desktop, older computer now retired..... was running on xp as well ) it had worked previously.....

The laptop (remote) runs XP home...

So the next step for me would be to load the print driver on the laptop as well???? See if that resolves the issue? (I just didn't think it was necessary since I had not done this before and it had worked.)

Thank you for the response....... I appreciate the help.

Tom

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd actually try just changing the port specification on the laptop to point to the new location of the printer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/617800

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice