Shared Printer via Network issues / XP drivers?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

triandrew2001

Brief synopsis:
I recently did a new Windows XP install (after a crash). Now I cannot get my printer to install. The printer is a SHARED printer (HP Deskjet F380) on another machine on the network. The printer was previous installed on this machine before the crash and reinstall of WinXP.
After nearly 2 hours on the phone w/ HP support, it's been determined (by HP support) that somewhere in the XP install, a missing XP driver is keeping this install from properly allowing any printers to be installed. The printer will 'appear' to be installed, but any attempt to print brings an error saying printer drivers aren't properly installed.

Short of doing ANOTHER complete XP install, any suggestions?

TerryNet

Terry
After the XP install did you install the chipset, networking and any other missing drivers, either from a Resource/Drivers CD or from the PC manufacturer's web site?

How did you do the printer install on the XP? What OS is on the computer that is the printer's host?

triandrew2001

That's the issue... I don't know what's missing. For all accounts, the Win XP re-install is working fine. I can network into the other machines shared drives with no problem. All networking is operating fine. All hardware are working great.

I have XP installed on all machines. The printer is installed on my main machine, and set up as a shared printer. The printer was installed using the driver install download from HP. I have the printer "installed" via the network on all other PCs on the network, and it was previously "installed via the network" on this machine prior to the WinXP re-install.
I can "add this printer" to this machine, and it acts as though it's adding it okay, and will add it to my "printers" folder, but any attempt to use it brings up an error saying that the drivers aren't all installed. Attempts to print a test page presents a "test page failed."
The HP support was only able to say "this is a WinXP install problem," and that "some of the XP drivers must not have been installed properly, thus not allowing printers to be installed properly." They then suggested I do a complete formatting of this hard drive, and completely reinstalling Win XP again. I'm really trying to avoid this.

Thoughts?

TerryNet

Terry
So try just reinstalling the drivers, chipset first. Then make sure there are no missing drivers or errors or unknown devices in Device Manager. Then delete the printer and try connecting again.

triandrew2001

Which drivers should I reinstall? This machine is a DELL Inspiron 6000 laptop. I'm not sure where to find what may be missing. I have no unknown devices in the Device manager. Where might I look for the chipset drivers?

TerryNet

Terry
Get the latest drivers from Dell's web site, support section. Use your Service Tag for easier searching.

triandrew2001

TerryNet...

Well, I did one better... I did a complete windows reinstall... took all day Sunday and part of today... had ZERO errors installing Windows. Have the updated EVERYTHING on it. Still having the same issue when attempting to install this shared printer via the network. I'm plum(b) out of ideas here. HP support has nothing. Should I call a priest? Is the machine possessed?

TerryNet

Terry
Did you install the latest chipset drivers from Dell's web site?

You could delete the printer and try my way to connect to it ...

Start - Run - \\hostPC - OK

where "hostPC" is the computer name or IP address of the computer with the printer. You should get a Windows Explorer window showing hostPC's shares. Right click on the printer and select 'Connect.' Get the same errors you have been getting?

triandrew2001

Yes, downloaded and installed the latest chipset drivers from DELL while in the process of the new Windows Install.

Tried your method before the install, and just tried it now... got the same errors.

The printer shows up in the printers folder, but right-clicking and choosing properties immediately gives the error that the drivers aren't installed... and it tries to send you thru the Add A Printer wizard. Canceling it out and attempting to print a test page brings a TEST PAGE FAILED error.

When I was trying with HP support BEFORE the new install, we even tried installing the printer directly to this laptop, and it wouldn't work their either.

All I can think is that there's something hardware related, but have no clue where to start looking.

Any thoughts?

triandrew2001

Rich...

I appreciate the idea.. .but its not the cable. The printer works fine on the machine it's installed on as a shared printer. The printer also installs and works fine on two other machines on the network when added as a network (shared) printer.

If you look earlier in the thread you'll see what I'm talking about. The printer is installed on my main machine in my office. It's configured as a shared printer. Two other machines on the network can access and use it fine.
The issue is w/ a 4th machine (laptop) when I go to add it via the network. It had originally worked fine on the laptop, until I had a crash. I completely re-formatted the laptop, and reinstalled Windows, and now I cannot add the network(shared) printer properly.

SUPPORT for the printer gave up on ideas, saying it was an issue w/ the Windows install. I reinstalled Windows AGAIN, after completely reformatting it AGAIN, and I still have the same issue.

So you see, this has nothing to do with the cable. I'm open to any other ideas.

TerryNet

Terry
Everything I can think of seems to be ruled out by something you've already tried or observed. Can't think of what would cause a problem like that with both networked and direct connection other than some registry or driver corruption, and your new installation rules that out.

Hardware related makes sense, but what's common to direct and networked connection other than the motherboard? Maybe something to do with interrupts, but no idea how to investigate that idea.

You said it was working before a crash that caused you to install Windows. Any idea what caused that crash? Maybe that's directly related to the current problem.

I think that there are a few things that Windows always stuffs onto the hard drive in a particular location. No idea if anything like that would be printer related. Anyhow, I'm slowly getting to my idea--do a disk check with repairs if you did not do so already.

And along the same lines maybe be good to do a memory check, for example with Memtest86+.

triandrew2001

I know... I'm stumped too.

As for the original crash... it wasn't a true "crash" persay. But rather a few BLUE SCREENS OF DEATH. I've done all the disk checks and repairs... each time Windows has "fixed" or "repaired" an occasional bad sector of the drive. It was after those, that the printer issue first began. My installed network printer just stopped working, so I deleted it and attempted to re-add it. THAT is when I started getting the errors I have been getting.

From there I spent an afternoon w/ HP printer support, and they were the ones that suggested that this was a WINDOWS issue, and that Windows was missing or had some corrupt files that was keeping me from installing the printer. Hence the new WINDOWS INSTALL after a complete hard-drive reformat.

I'm willing to give Memtest a try... but not quite sure how to use it. Can you offer a brief "how to" on which file I should download, and how to use it?

Sorry I misunderstood that. Most blue screens are cause by bad or corrupted ram.
www.memtest.org is where you download memtest86 and make a bootable floppy or cd to boot up to. You need to run 4 complete tests and each test has 8 passes so this will take 3-4 hours. If there is as much as one error shown, then you have your answer.
The other thing I wonder about is a hard drive you have repaired any number of sectors on could also be the problem.

triandrew2001

Okay... latest update.

Ran MEMTEST all night long.... ZERO errors. Tried installing again, same errors.

Over the past month, I have run a hard drive repair and have repaired a few bad sectors, but only a few. Would the drivers for a shared printer (when installed via a network) be installed on the hard-drive in a specific place?

I'm really really stumped on this one. Any last thoughts before I call a priest on this machine? Really though, EVERYTHING ELSE on this machine is working JUST FINE. I have networked hard drives I can access w/o any issues... I can PING every other machine on the network... and I can install the (shared) printer on every other machine I have on this network.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online