1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

shared printer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by root, Jun 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. root

root Thread Starter

Ok, what am I missing. I have a home network consisting of a router, cable modem, and two computers. I also have a printer connected to one of the machines. This machine uses Windows ME. The other uses XP. Now I want to be able to the printer from the XP machine. It seems to find it, but it doesn't indicate the ink level, nor can I print. It says, it can't start a print job.

I would appreciate if someone might be able to throw together a step-by-step to see if I missed something.

Thanks.

2. active95

active95

Couple of things...
    1. I assume that you had used windows XP wizzard to install a network printer right?
    2. On the windows Me you right clicked on the printer and chosen "sharing" right?
    3. Looked in the FAQ of the manufacturer for tips ?
    4 Using the lastest drivers for printer on XP or the "generic "microsoft drivers ?
    HTH

3. root

root Thread Starter

Hi,

Yes, I used the wizard to add the printer, and chose the option, like it tells you to for a printer that is connected to another computer.
    Yes, on the ME, I chose to share.
    Yes, on the XP, I downloaded the latest drivers.

Is anything needed to put on the ME, regarding the XP?

Like I said, it seems to find it, but can't communicate with it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/84257

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice