1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

shared wifi help needed

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by dasachmo, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dasachmo

dasachmo Thread Starter

hi, i have a wifi connection at my flat which i share with 3 other housemates... we bought a BT internet 8 mb connection with unlimited downloads so i was quite happy with the speeds because when we first got it, i was the only one with a wireless card so i was getting speeds of 400 kb very often,

BUT... recently my flatmates have got wireless cards and somehow one of them gets excellent speeds on downloads and i get only like 40-70kb/sec
    i dpont know how he does it, he lives on the top floor and i live on the ground floor, literally a metre from the wifi transmitter so im way way closer then he is...

is there something i can do to maintain or maximise my connection? ...
    when he downloads i cant really surf without getting slow browsing speeds and sometimes i dont even get a good connection because i constantly get signed out of msn and get cannot find server messages
    (edited to meet rules)

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Could you explain to me how that last paragraph meshes with this forum's guidelines and rules?

3. dasachmo

dasachmo Thread Starter

just an update, i dont actually get any surfing speed now! i have to wait till my friend leaves and turns his laptop off!

is there a setting im missing that shares the connection equally between users?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    See if your router has Quality of Service (QoS) capability. Some do. If you have it you can set that to give each of you your fair share of bandwidth.

I take it that negotiation with this one bozo is not feasible? :(

5. dasachmo

dasachmo Thread Starter

no, he is well annoying, he leaves his laptop on all day long and everytime i go past his room i see at least 10 albums queud up on his flashget and his limewire is always running, he just downloads all the time!

ive got the new bt broadband hub thing?
    is the qos thing a router specification or is it a software thing i have to do on my connection settings?

i dont understand how he can get the stronger connection when the transmitter is like a foot away from me but he lives a whole floor away?!,... is it to do with my hardware perhaps? should i invest in a separate wireless card? i have a built in intel pro set one (dell latitude x 300)

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    QoS is a feature/capability of a router.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!