SharePoint

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

krazeecrw

Our company is looking for a webspace to share out meetings, calendars, documents, etc. I have heard some thing about SharePoint. Currently are servers are mixed between Windows 2000 Advanced Server and Windows Server 2003. From what I understand, Sharepoint can only run on Windows Server 2003 which should not be an issue.

The question I have is can I just download the Windows Sharepoint Services and use that for our needs? I know that is a free download.

Is there anything else we might need?

Anne Troy

Anne
Sorry. My LOL wasn't meant to be rude. It just struck me as funny that YET ANOTHER SITE LETS YOU BELIEVE SOMETHING IS FREE!

krazeecrw

So we would need to have the SharePoint Portal Server for it to work properly? I was looking at this part from the Microsoft website.

Windows SharePoint Services is a versatile technology included in Microsoft Windows Server 2003 that enables organizations and business units of all sizes to increase the efficiency of business processes and improve team productivity. With tools for collaboration that help people stay connected across organizational and geographic boundaries, Windows SharePoint Services gives people access to documents and information they need. With a familiar, Web-based interface and close integration with everyday tools including the Microsoft Office system of productivity programs, Windows SharePoint Services is easy to use and can be deployed rapidly. Users can create workspaces and then publish, store, share, and keep track of information, workflow, and documents.

Built on Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Windows SharePoint Services also gives organizations a cost-effective foundation platform for building Web-based business applications that can scale easily to meet the changing and growing needs of your business. Robust administrative controls for managing storage and Web infrastructure give IT departments a cost-effective way to implement and manage a high-performance collaboration environment

Anne Troy

Anne
k. So it's included with your server software. Cool. You said "free download" -- that's what I caught.

Anyway, you might want to move to the internet or developer forums. This is application software (business), not web stuff. :)

You can download WSS for FREE. I do believe they have relesed version 2 and it has very good integration with the new version of Office that is coming out.

You still need to purchase client access licenses. Also, although it probably isn't mentioned, SharePoint has pretty hefty needs to run properly for several users. We currently use SharePoint. Some of our unanticipated purchases was a hefty 2003 server to run it on, a SQL server to run the database, and a SAN to hold the database. We needed 16 TB.

Courtney sends....

P.S. You access SharePoint through your web browser.

Yea, I suppose the databse is a must. WSS is free and is licensed by your normal user CALs.

16TB of data for Sharepoint?? WHat is this, a major multi-national conglomerate? :)

krazeecrw

They actually have a version 3 out but it looks like the system requirements are much more stringent....I will probably download version 2 and see how it goes...We definitley want to keep things as simple as possible

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online