1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sharing a DSL connection.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ian80, Apr 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ian80

ian80 Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I'm currently at school away from home. I'll be heading home for 4 months in a few weeks and bringing my new computer with me. I need to set up some way to share the DSL connection from the 'family' computer.

Like I said, I'll only be home for 4 months, so am not willing to invest a lot of money into this. What is the easiest and cheapest way of doing this. Can I do it without a router?

Where should I begin?

2. CodeShark

CodeShark

First off, Purchase a router, network cables and make them CAT 5. That's about all you need for a network. Oh yea and if you don't already have, get some network cards.

3. theMusicMan

theMusicMan

Yep you can do this without a router. Simply buy two of these http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=36&prid=435. Put one in each PC, on the PC that has the DSL connection, use tyhe Internet Connection Sharing wizard to set up ICS, reboot both machines and you're away. How's that for simple and cheap...:)

John

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Looks like the router will be the least expensive method.

The last post is for a wireless USB Network adapter, which would still need a wireless router.

Unless distance is an issue, the cheapest thing to do is get a DSL router.

5. theMusicMan

theMusicMan

Hi Bob,

You wouldn't need a wireless router... all you need to do is connect the wireless USB devices to each PC, set up internet connection sharing on the PC that has DSL, and that's it. No router, just 2 cheap Linksys wifi USB devices... :)

J

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Yep. Misread the information from Linksys that you don't actually need a separate router.

Given that the wireless transmission speeds will be lower, ICS is generally a pain and requires a computer to always be on, and given the cost of needing to buy two, it still seems like the router is a better way to do, especially if even one more computer got added.

7. theMusicMan

theMusicMan

Why would transmission speeds be slower Bob...? ... they wouldn't be slower at all if you use two of these wireless G devices [​IMG]
    as they have 54Mbps transmission - which is mega-quick.. :) . And even if Ian opted for the Wireless B (11Mbps) devices, these are still faster than the DSL connection to the net. The bottle-neck therefore would be the connection to the internet and not the wifi network tx speeds. Unless Ian's parents have a mega-huge-mega-buck-monster of an internet connection pipe... :)

I agree that ICS can be a pain in the preverbials sometimes, and that you do always need the PC to be on for any other PC's on yoru network to access the internet. I also agree that a router is most certainly a better option... it's just that I saw Ian's original post as asking for what he wants to be done as easily and cheaply as possible, and he also specifically asked if it could be done without purchasing a router.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I find that routers are usually the cheapest component in the mix, apparently they are the loss leader that gets you to buy the other wireless components. :) I think that Bob's suggestion for the router, even if it's not the cheapest route, is clearly the best solution...

9. theMusicMan

theMusicMan

I agree with you here 100% GUYS ... :) but Ian asked for the easiest and cheapest...

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Looked at the cost of needing to purchase two of the wireless devices and they were pretty much the same as a DSL router. So there isn't much price difference if any so there really isn't much cost benefit.

Typically with a DSL router you just connect the WAN and Ethernet cables, configure the workstations for DHCP and that's about it. With the wireless device you need to configure ICS on both computers which is not nearly as simple or reliable and always needs to have one computer on for the other to access the internet. So it is not easy to configure and is more restrictive.

Also, with ICS it assumes one computer has a direct connection to the Internet. This is a bit of a security issue. So if that's the direction, additional firewall software would need to be installed and configured as well. Given the amount of posts with people having problems doing this, it is not the simplest thing for the average person to do. The router, since it uses NAT for all computers, functions as a reasonable firewall without doing anything.

Other than being techincally kinda cool, and unless the wiring is an issue (which was not mentioned in the original post), I still don't see the benefits.

11. theMusicMan

theMusicMan

... sure Bob (y) - I was incorrectly making an assumption that Ian wanted to take the gear (USB wifi device) back to School/College with him and could use it back there... as well as thinking (again incorrectly I think) that Ian had a Laptop... Now where the heck did I get that from... :eek:

Good call... (y)

12. ian80

ian80 Thread Starter

Wow, thanks guys.

Sorry MusicMan for confusing you. I should have been more clear.

So, I guess I'll go with a router. Still a little comfused...is this all I need: http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=DI-604-R&cat=NET ?

Also, the wire connecting the two PCs with have to be very long, is this easy to find in a regular 'Staples'-type store?

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

How long is the distance between the two computers. It is pretty easy to get 100' cables and ethernet will go quite a bit farther.

14. bsop

bsop

Hi,

The cheapest way is as follows.

Order your DSL.

If it id PPPoA or PPPoE it does not matter.

The modem provided by the DSL provider has management software.
    you will need to log into the modem.

Speedstream 5200 by default has an ip address of 192.168.254.254

It has a DHCP server in it by default.

You will have to log into the modem and setup your username and password.
    Save the settings and set the modem to stay connected, unless you have some reason not to.

All you need at that point is a hub to connect to the modem.
    Contrary what others will tell you, a very cheap, nearly free 10mbps
    hub is over 10 times faster than DSL. So, the 100 and 1000 hubs only provide speeds between computers fast and not to DSL fast. DSL can only go so fast.

It is like a one lane road with no speed limit and someone is driving 10 miles an hour. All the other traffic may be a Ferrari that can to 212 miles an hour but the 10 MPH vehicle is preventing it.

Then all you need are NIC, Network interface card, in each of the other computers you want to be on DSL, and patch cord. Cat 5 cords to connect the computers to the hub.

That is the cheapest way.

The easiest way is wireless. You must use all the same manufacturers equipment or configuration can be a little tricky for the first time.
    It is easy but tricky. However, wireless is expensive.

If you go with wireless, there are some other configuration issues you may have to deal with.

If your DSL is a PPPoA, you will be heavily firewalled by 2 192.x.x.x IP addresses. You will be able to communicate but not run file share software, and many utilities. You will only be able to do simple tasks.

NO router only supports PPPoA. If you have a PPPoE DSL provider, you don't let the modem log in, you set up the router to do it.

Only a Router Modem combo supports PPPoA nicely.

There is alot more to this , but hopefully this is a start.

15. thecaravanman

thecaravanman

Hi,

Ferrari enzo can do 217 mph. F50 can do 202 mph. I think the F40 does 201 mph.

Hope this helps,
    matt.

(that was completley use less wasn't it!)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217920

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice