1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sharing a Network with XP and Windows 7

Discussion in 'Networking' started by C-Smoove, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C-Smoove

C-Smoove Thread Starter

Hello and Happy Holidays to Everyone,

My daughter recently won a MSI- Windows 7 Starter Netbook from her school. I got it to connect to my network and surfing the net is fine. I have three computers also on the network which are XP versions, my desktop is the main server and two other netbooks that are xp as well for my other 2 daughters. I'm trying to get the Window 7 to see the other comps., but its not bringing them up when I click the "search" link under network/sharing center.

The strangest thing is that I was able to share the printer I have on the network. It sees that. But it did not pull up the printer when I did the search. I had to actually put in the address and printer name, then it worked fine. I have two folders that I share on the network, it won't bring them up in the network group or places. Like I said the strangest thing is that when I first got it and did all the network stuff without actually reading about Windows 7, everything worked. I could see everything on the network status window. NOW, I don't know what happen. I've been trying and can't get it to work.

Can anyone show me the steps on how to properly network windows 7 starter to the other three XP computers?

Thank you.:(

2. valis

valis Moderator

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970199

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice