1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sharing a printer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Tarnishedwisdom, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarnishedwisdom

Tarnishedwisdom Thread Starter

is it possible to print to a printer not on my LAN if i have access to its IP address, and if so, how do i do it? both computers are connected to the web through separate LANS.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That would depend on a lot of factors. I doubt that the shares are openly exposed to the Internet, or the integrity of the link won't last long. :) Also, I suspect that one or both of the computers and/or printers is behind a firewall or gateway of some sort, so there are all sorts of issues to address.

There are ways of doing remote printing, but we need to know a lot more about both ends of the equation before any intelligent answer is forthcoming. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!