1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sharing bt broadband!?! its not proper dsl! please help!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by thecaravanman, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thecaravanman

thecaravanman Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a BT Business 500 broadband connection and i wan to share it between 2 laptops, so that one can be occasionally used for email/web browsing during the day and the other can be left downloading from kazzaa/irc/bittorrent/normal http. I also want to access the one that is downloading all day from home with gotomypc.

I was going to buy this:modem/router becuase bt supplies a usb modem (and it is CRAP! i have to reinstall it evrytime i boot up!)

but then when i was setting up the connection manually because the crap CD from bt dosent work properly it struck me: this isnt proper adsl! i cant set it up from either of the normal broadband options, instead i have to select a normal connection, select the broadband modem , leave the phone number blank and then enter my log on details. it still runs at 576 or so kbps.

so then i thought that maybe i dont need a proper broadband router if it isnt a proper broadband connection! aha! maybe i can get away by getting a cheapy router and using that will it work i wonder?

can anyone help me in my dilemma?

also i will need it to work with bittorrent, kazaa, irc, gotomypc, normal http downloads

also i am in the UK! plz note most things will be the same but possibly not! lol

does anyone know of any cheap uk broadband isp's? i got 512k but im thinking of getting 1/2mbps

thanks,
    matt :D

2. coulterp

coulterp

To be honest, having read your description, I cannot imagine where in it would would lead anyone to suppose that the BT ADSL was not a "proper" ADSL offering. How so? Or what a "proper" broadband router is. Define proper? Do you think a cheapy router is not goning to be "proper". In what way?

I don't use BT, but ultimately my ADSL does run over BT lines and through BT exchanges (where in the UK doesn't!) So if it ain't proper - i.e. if it ain't BT compliant - it ain't gonna run.

Whatever way you cut it you will need a ADSL modem, or ADSL modem/router. Cheapy or otherwise.

Yes ditch the USB (for comms it's a pain in the proverbial); get an ADSL modem or modem router with Ethernet capability, it'll make the sharing of your PCs a lot easier. No reason why the Ebuyer 1 Port Ethernet ADSL Modem Router you gave a link to won't work (although a 4-port would be a lot more use) - as long as it is compliant to BT standards :)

3. thecaravanman

Hi,

thanks for your reply - what I am trying to say is that yes I understand that bt owns most of the phone lines in the uk and nearly all adsl is running over bt lines.

But it would seem that when you buy BT Business 500 broadband (it isn't marketed as adsl i dont think) it dosent use the adsl technology. When I try to set up a new connection I cannot use either of the options - "Connect using a broadband connection that requires a user name and password" or "Connect using a broadband connection that is always on". I would have though it would be the first option because you do have to dial up even when bt is installed properly and you do have to enter a password and username. It would seem that it is not a PPPoE connection.

If i choose "connect using a dial-up modem" as you would if you were using a 56k then it does work - and at broad band speed. It is for this reason that I thought it might be a very fast version of normal 56k.

Also this made me think that the adsl modem/router might not work.

thanks,
    Matt

4. jtatsud

jtatsud

What you might have is a combo modem/router. When you log in with ID and PW, you connect directly to the modem. When you have an "always on" connection, the router is doing the ID+PW.

What is the make and model of the device that BT gave you?

5. thecaravanman

Hi,
    It's an intel something or another. I will post full details when I am in the office tomorrow.

Thanks,
    Matt

6. coulterp

coulterp

UK ADSL is PPPoA

7. thecaravanman

Hi,

I tried setting it up as PPPoA but it wouldnt work.

Thanks,
    Matt

8. thecaravanman

Hi,

Oh sorry, There isn't an option for PPPoA, only PPPoE. Didn't work as PPPoE. What's the difference?

Thanks,
    matt

9. coulterp

coulterp

Typical settings for ADSL PI, VCI, Modulation, Encapsulation and Authentication Settingsin the UK are as follows:

VPI = 0, VCI = 38

ADSL Modulation Auto, then try G.DMT, then try ANSI T1.413
    Encapsulation Mode PPP over ATM (PPPoA - RFC2364) VC-MUX
    Authentication CHAP

UK doesn't do PPPoE (Point-to-Point Protocol Over Ethernet) ADSL (AFAIK). PPPoA is PPP over ATM. See http://www.dslreports.com/information/kb/PPPoA

In the UK you'll need a modem or modem/router that is PPPoA capable.
    But, for example, if your had a PPPoA modem with with an Ethernet intferace then you would be able to run PPPoE between it and a router.

You may find the site http://www.adslguide.org.uk/qanda.asp useful.

10. thecaravanman

Hi,

Ok thanks for all your help, but I have decided to do it the easy and cheap way. I have stuck a cat5 cable between and now its working fine.

THanks

Matt

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217382

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice