1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sharing Deskjet 722C

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by slimw, May 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slimw

slimw Thread Starter

Does anyone know if the HP Deskjet 722c is a "sharable" printer?

We have a home network with 2 wired computers and 2 wireless computers, with a mix of Win 98, SE and Win XP home.
    We can share a HP Photo smart 1218 with all of the computers, but we cannot get the Deskjet 722C to share.
    It appears to set up correctly by installation of the drivers, but when we try to print to it, we get a message that says it can't communicate with it and the file has been deleted.
    The 722C is on a pc that is running 98SE.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. rogers55

rogers55

Slim,

The Deskjet 722 series is not networkable.
    If you search the forums you will find reference to this problem.

Roger

3. slimw

slimw Thread Starter

I could not find any reference to this, can you direct me to it?

Thanks for the quick reply

4. slimw

slimw Thread Starter

This is getting interesting.
    I tried one of the wired desktop pcs Win 98, and it worked.

I took one of the wireless laptops, switched it to a wired LAN card and re-set it up, Win 98, and this machine does not work. Hmm,,

I am now checking port settings and Data format, but they seem to match. The desktop that works has a 700 P3, with 384 megs ram, the laptop has about a P2 366 with 64 megs of ram. Do you think this has anything to do with it?

5. rockinmale

rockinmale

What operating system is installed on the computer that you want to share the hp 722?

6. slimw

slimw Thread Starter

Win 98 SE, 450 P3 128 Megs of Ram

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, I have an IOGEAR USB print server that's sharing my HP PSC-750 USB printer just fine, it's also listed as "not network capable". :) The nice thing about having your printers on print servers is you don't have any impacts on the host computer, and you don't need to leave a computer on just to print either.

8. gws226

gws226

The IOgear print server is a good model. If your interested in wireless print servers take a look at the linksys. It has served me quite well, although printing wirelessly seems to be a bit slower then more traditional printer sharing methods.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I didn't know LinkSys had a USB printer model, that's why I liked the IOgear model, it was unique.

10. gws226

gws226

They released it about 4 months ago. I don't know of anyone who has it as of yet. My experience is limited to the old fashioned wireless print servers with parallel connections (and please note my recommendations on the wireless options was limited to that of parellel style services) I do not know if there is a USB wireless print server as of yet.

11. buf

buf

I have the two computers described in my signature below that are wire networked and using the HP 722C flawlessly. The printer is installed on the IBM Aptiva PC and it does have to on if I am to print from my AMD machine. So most definitely, the 722c can be networked to print from our win98SE machines.

12. gws226

gws226

Hey buf,
    To be honest I really didn't think that a printer that someone would share through their PC can be incompatiable because it still uses the hosts PC to handle the print request just as the host PC handles the request itself when printing its own page.

Did you take any special measures to get it to work?

13. buf

buf

In Network Neighborhood, I use Windows Logon and Client for Microsoft Networks and NO file/printer sharing on the AMD(host). Only difference on the Aptiva--the printer is set for sharing. I use the Linksys BEFSR41 Router with my External Alcatel Modem.
    I just recently packed away my printer that I had attached to the AMD machine because it was not being used. The only problem with this setup is--the Aptiva has to be on in order for me to use the printer. Otherwise, I print just as though the printer is physically attached to the AMD computer. Hope this helps ya!!

14. rbeaufor

rbeaufor

Bringing life to an old thread....
    I too have the HP 722C on my home network using linksys 4 port router. Previously I had 2 win2k machines sharing it without incident.

For some eason I cannot seem to get the latest addition a win98SE machine to share.

I previously thought it was a driver problem because I had problems installing the drivers for the 722C in the Win98 machine, iI finally got this to wor, but the sharing was still not functional.

Today I've been trying to add the win 95/98 drivers to the win2K machine, but the installation never makes it to completion.

Any thoughts?!?

15. buf

buf

rbeaufor:
    I am NOT the most knowledgeable person to ask about this but I will help as much as I can.
    I have just finished looking in My Documents folder for any and all info I had saved covering the subject of sharing and/or networking printers. I have just the two computers in my home and the HP722C works just great(both computers have to be on in order for the printer to work, of course.) I am assuming that you have Network Neighborhood on all three machines set up the same way. You want to add a Win98SE computer to your network but be sure to disable the ICS(Internet Connection Sharing)feature on this OS. If it is not disabled, then that may be your problem.
    These are the two most likely copy/paste notes that I found in My Documents folder that I hope will be of help to you. These solutions were posted by others; not me. If none of this helps you, then I suggest you consider starting a new thread in the Hardware forum category.
    Here is what I found in my file folder:

Install the printer drivers on both PC's. Don't install the drivers by installing a network printer. Ignore the fact that on one PC the installation cannot find a printer. Do not print a test page. Reboot after installation. Make sure you have shared your printer. On the PC not connected to the printer, go to Printers and go to the properties of the Printer you've just installed. On the details Tab, click Capture Printer Port and choose the Path of the network printer also select reconnect at logon. Click OK. Now change print to the following port so that it reads LPT1: (\\pcname\printersharename).
    Click Apply and go to General Tab. Print a Test Page. It worked for me....

OR PERHAPS THIS WILL BE OF SOME HELP TO YOU:

Set up another computer

To set up print-sharing on your other network computer(s):

Click Start, Settings, Printers.
    Click Add Printer, which launches the Add Printer Wizard.
    Click Next.
    Select Network Printer and click Next.

To allow your computer to find the shared printer, you must specify its
    location. Click Browse if you are unsure, then select the designated
    printer.
    An icon of a hand appears under a printer after it becomes shared.

Note: For networks to function, all linked computers must be identified
    separately. If you have not previously given your computer a name (you can
    call it literally anything), here's how to do so:

Click Start, Settings, Control Panel
    Click the Network icon
    Select the Identification tab. Enter a name in the box.
    If you choose, enter the other information (workgroup and a description of
    the computer, such as Pentium II) but this is not required.

More than one

You can set up more than one printer to be shared on your home network.
    Simply repeat the steps described above. You can also set one printer as
    your default printer. To specify the default printer:

Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Printers.
    Right-click the icon for the printer you want to use as the default printer.
    Click Set As Default.
    If there is a check mark next to this command, the printer is set as the
    default printer.

Once you're wired together in a network, everyone in the household gets to
    enjoy the benefits of your sharpest and fastest printer.

I wish you luck in getting the 3 puters networked properly so that you can use your printer. And if you will, please post back your results so that others having the same or like problems will also benefit. Again, good luck

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/133487

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice