sharing DSL modem with 2 PCs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

stevef919

This is probably a simple question. I'm looking for some direction. I just installed DSL modem on my backup computer to check it out. It works fine with a USB connection to the PC. I now want to share the DSL modem with my two PCs, though I don't use the backup much for online activity.
Both computers are running Windows 98SE. They are networked through USB Ethernet adaptors and a 4-port hub. I am using NETBEIU as the protocol as I have not been able to get TCP working. The service tech at my ISP told me I could plug the DSL modem into the hub and it would work with both PCs. I thought that IP sharing had to be installed, like ICS. Well, I went and plugged the DSL modem Ethernet cable to the hub. The Ethernet indicator on the modem did not light up, as the instructions stated. The instructions were for hookup to a single PC though. Will this work if I just go through the process? Or do I really need to install ICS? :confused:

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
I dont think hooking it up to a USB hub is going to work. A USB hub is not like a normal network hub or switch that I know of. I personally would get Network cards for your computers and buy a router.

If you are going to access the Internet, you are going to need TCP/IP.

If you get a router, the defaults for most are to act as a DHCP server. If this is the case then you should just be able to configure the computers to obtain an IP address automatically.

From the first post - "I have not been able to get TCP working"

What is not working as far as TCP/IP is concerned. There should be no need to NetBEUI in order to network.

stevef919

If I install just TCP/IP and bind it to the Ethernet adaptor on each PC, only the local PC appears in Network Neighborhood. I set a static IP address for each PC, 192.168.0.2 for one and 192.168.0.3 for the other. I can ping the local PC, but the other PC gets no reply. I also don't see activity on the hub with TCP/IP.

stevef919

If I install just TCP/IP and bind it to the Ethernet adaptor on each PC, only the local PC appears in Network Neighborhood. I set a static IP address for each PC, 192.168.0.2 for one and 192.168.0.3 for the other. I can ping the local PC, but the other PC gets no reply. I also don't see activity on the hub with TCP/IP.

Unless you have some firewall software installed blocking the pings, likely are going to need to get TCP/IP working.

stevef919

Bob
I think you are on to something. I have Norton Internet Security on both PCs. I used the firewall wizard and set the network to trust 192.168.0.0 (does this automatically). I can then ping from computer A and get a reply from computer B. However, it doesn't work the other way. I disabled Norton and it still works one way only.
Then I found out that setting the static IP address through the Ethernet adaptors (Network Properties) prevents computer B (the one with the DSL modem attached) from accessing the Internet. So, I had to go back to the TCP/IP bound to the Ehernet adaptor and check dynamic address. Maybe this is why the LAN should connect using NETBEUI and use TCP/IP for Internet?

i dont know if this will be any help to you, but i have mcaffee private firewall and virus scanner. and it says in the installaion manual that virus scanner has to be installed on both pc's but, firewall must only be installed on the the computor conected to the dsl modem, I have installed it as instructed and i have no problems, ... my firewall protects both pc's through the main dsl one,
hope this helps
take care .. xxx

stevef919,

That would explain it exactly. Either configure Norton correctly or uninstall it until you get everything working. You can add it back in again when you have the rest of the network functioning.

stevef919

Understood, BUT even with Norton disabled I can ping only one way, so something is not right. Then, how do I get around the static IP issue?

That's why I recommended to uninstall it until you get everything working.

Also, until you get it working, disable any other firewall software as well.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online