1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sharing DSL

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mike12975, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mike12975

mike12975 Thread Starter

I have 2 computers with Windows XP that I want to network and share my DSL connection. What I would really like to be able to do is for my wife and I to be able to play internet games together at the same time on each computer. For example, both of us playing like everquest or some other online game like that.

Could someone tell me what equipment I would need to do this and what I need to do? I have networked 2 computers together at work using NetBEUI, so I have a little experience with networking but those comps don't share the internet connection.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. jdean

jdean

Get a router (for example, the D-Link DI-604 recently received a good review from PC Magazine). The router will come with instructions on how to set up for sharing a DSL connection. If your machines are next to each other, or if your house is wired, this is simple to set up.

If the machines are not near each other and you don't want to run cables, then look for a wireless 802.11 access point and router. You'll need to purchase wireless cards for your computers. I know plenty of people who love wireless but I personally would not choose this approach unless it was necessary (for example, no wiring, or if you have laptop computers and you want to move them around).

3. mike12975

mike12975 Thread Starter

So just any router would accomplish what I want to do? There is an $88 Linksys 4 port router at the local store. Would that be a good one?

Also can I still use crossover cable with a router or will I have to get regular?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, you can pick up broadband routers in the $40 range shipped to you looking in Pricewatch, $88 plus tax doesn't seem like that good a deal. :)

You will need standard cables, not crossover cables for connecting to the router.

5. Del

Del

Any DSL compatible router will work and you don't need a cross over cable, just the normal RJ45, CAT 5 will do. I had 3 machines on a DSL connection with a NetGear router and works fine, even playing games.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112945

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice