1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sharing email on a peer-to-peer network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Malaikah, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Malaikah

Malaikah Thread Starter

Dear Tech-Guys,

I have recently set up a small peer-to-peer network at my place of work. We have dial-up email account which I want to be accessible by all computers on the network. I want to make sure that all messages can be seen by all computers so I can't simply set up the accounts normally to delete messages from the server, if the accounts are set up not to delete messages from the server each message is downloaded several times. We are a small, charitable, organisation so I don't want to spend cash on a proper exchange type application and we are running a serverless peer-to-peer network in any case. We have Windows 98 and 2000 computers on the network and are currently using Outlook Express for email.

What is the best way of doing this?

Any help appreciated,

Ben

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can install a mail server on the machine that's connected to the net, it'll fetch the email and buffer it locally. Then you can access that mail server from multiple machines on the network. The mail server can also access multiple POP accounts and buffer all of them. Here's a typical mail server, both free and pay versions, there are lots more of them around: ArgoSoft Mail Server

3. Malaikah

Malaikah Thread Starter

Cheers for that, I didn't realise there were free mail servers out there.

Have you used it? Any problems?

Ben

4. misturr50

misturr50

HMmm well i solved my wireless problem. How by not doing what they said to do i did what i did! n no work for me! My wireless B router is now fixed. How you ask. UPGRADE YOUR FIRMWARE ON YOUR COMPTUER ... questions? im me at AIM : khmermuycheat or misturr50 im always on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I tried the ArgoSoft mail server, and it seemed to work. I ended up using a combination of ISP email services and my domain email forwarding to solve my multiple account problem, so I ended up not using it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164204

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice