1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sharing fax modem with Windows ME, 2000, or XP?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by angel, Nov 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. angel

angel Thread Starter

I know you used to be able to setup Microsoft Fax on Windows 95/98 computers to share the fax modem. Anyone aware of a way to do this in Windows ME, 2000, and/or XP?

2. Rockn

Rockn

Probably the same way if it still has MS Fax installed. It's not the greates program and I could never get it to work. Always used WinFax Pro for a fax server program.

3. plejon

plejon

4. angel

angel Thread Starter

Well, just for kicks, I tried msfax. I got it installed and was able to add it as a service and saw it 'try' to send but then it just errored. She had Office XP! There's no workaround to get it to work with Outlook 2002. Aw well - worth a shot.

They'd really like some type of free software solution to share the modem for faxing (yet not remove it from the computer it's currently on). However, they do have another issue in that they'd also like to share that one modem for dialing out (not internet). For something like that they'd be willing to pay a little and that solution should resolve both probs. I'm still looking around because I could have sworn I saw some freeware port mapping/virtual com port software somewhere.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58455

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice