1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sharing files/folders in a small home network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sonnet0215, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonnet0215

sonnet0215 Thread Starter

Hello,
    I have created a small home network using broadband router (SMCWGBR14-N) and hooked up 1 desktop pc (wired), 1 network printer (wired) and 1 laptop (wireless). FYI: OS is XP Prof for both computers.
    A couple of things are working OK, like: I can go online and print both wired and wireless BUT I am not being able to create a workgroup (example: "HOMENETWORK") where I can share my files/folders/drive with other PC. I tried through "set up a small office network" in My Network Place but
    a) when I go to "view workgroup computer" - cannot access.
    b) try to share a folder and it is not allowing me - " error message: workgroup not found or not created", something like that !!

What am I doing wrong? Please let me know the step by step procedure.

Thanks.

Sincerely Yours,
    - Bertrand.

2. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

1. Make sure everyone is in the same workgroup. (This has nothing to do with file sharing, but it cuts down on broadcasts and makes finding other computers easier.)

2. Make sure any firewalls allow access to your own network. This is not enabled by default. How you do this depends on the firewall.

3. Make sure user accounts are duplicated on all machines. Accounts other than yours do not have to have administrator access, they just should be there. This cuts down on problems with shares.

You should be able to share files and ping other computers by name at this point. My Network Places will eventually be populated, but it can take up to 58 minutes for this to happen. Remember that My Network Places is more like a catalog of what's out there. It has nothing to do with file sharing.

Courtney

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think that's up to 15 minutes, not 58.

Without more information it sounds to me like your problem is Courtney's #2--3rd party firewall (internet security). If you tell us exactly what you are doing when you get exactly what error message we may be able to better focus our replies.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697580

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice