1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Sharing files on network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by swepres, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. swepres

swepres Thread Starter

I have 3 computers networked, 2 are using Windows 7, the other Windows 10. I don't understand the difference between a named user and Owner. One computer doesn't have anything filed in an Owner directory, both of the others do. Access is denied to the Owner directory files. I am the Administrator on all the computers. How do I eliminate the Owner so that files may be freely accessed on all the computers?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Which Owner on which Windows PC is giving you an access denied message?

3. swepres

swepres Thread Starter

\\LOIS-STUDIO running Wimdows 7 Home Premium
    Lois is dead and I am now the owner but I don't know how to fix that.

DIMENSION 520 also running Windows 7 Home Premium will only give access to docs in the Public Documents folder
    This computer only has Pat as the User, no directories are identified as Owner

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

So this is what I understand :

Louis' machine runs Windows 7. It has a user account named Owner. You do not know the password to this account and cannot access the files in the Owner's folders.

Dell Dimension runs Windows 7. It has a user account name Owner. You do not know the password to this account and cannot access the files in the Owner's folders.

Your machine runs Windows 10. It has a user account named Pat.

----------------

Sometimes, the account named Owner is the first account automatically created. It is an administrator account.

The account name can be different from the user folder name shown in File Explorer. This happens when an account is renamed, the renamed account name is used at the login screen but the folder name stays as Owner.

5. swepres

swepres Thread Starter

Lois' machine's only user account is Pat - Administrator. There is no password on this account. The account has no Windows Credentials.

Likewise, Dell Dimension's only user account is Pat - Administrator. There is no password on this account. Windows Credentials shows User Name Pat - Dimension.

When logged on to either machine I can access everything.

All three machines are in the network Workgroup from my Windows 10 machine.
    I cannot access Lois' machine at all. The response is "you do not have permission to access \\LOIS-STUDIO.
    I can access Dimension but can only get the Public Documents folder.
    All profiles on both machines have complete sharing indicated.

For the Dimension machine can the solution be so simple as to change the name of the folder?

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

Try giving a password to both Pat user accounts on Lois and Dimension. Win 10 likes it that way.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  7. swepres

swepres Thread Starter

That doesn't work. Apparently there are Windows passwords on both machines -- at least they show up as hidden in Credentials. Unfortunately I can't change them because I don't know what they are. How do you resolve this when an owner dies?

8. swepres

swepres Thread Starter

I found a System Repair Disk for Lois-Studio so I should be able to use it on both computers to go through the Windows Password Reset.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211726

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice