1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sharing Files on Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jpd, Oct 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jpd

jpd Thread Starter

I have a Dell Desktop that I recently networked wirelessly with my laptop via a Linksys wireless access point + cable router with 4 port switch. My laptop uses the Linksys wireless PC card. The network works fine for sharing an internet connection but I am having difficulty sharing files from my desktop's hard drive. For instance, I can't figure out how I can retrieve and respond to email received by by desktop through my laptop. Also, my Quicken program is difficult to open on the laptop--there is no shortcut/icon for it on the main page. How do you set this up? I have tried designating both as shared files as per the Windows 98 manual section on file sharing. I am running Windows 98 on both.

2. Sponsor

3. Rockn

Rockn

You can't realy share your email unless you have your email client on both computers and why would you want to....use one for retreiving and sending mail and the other for work that will be portable or transported back to the office, etc. As far as quicken you are going to have to install the app on the laptop to...can't share that executable file, just the data and account files. You are trying to do program sharing...not file sharing. Some applications like Access databases can be share becasue it has locking features to keep people from updating or editing the same record.

4. jpd

jpd Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the info. How can I find out if certain programs that I own have the ability to be shared?

5. Del

Del

I share the hard disk and printer with NetBUIE and as far as email, whatever program downloads it, will have it on that hard drive. You can have one computer read it but not remove it from the server and the other, download it and remove it from the server so the server doesn't get full.
    Del

6. dj_sub

dj_sub

You might consider trying a remote 'take-over' application such as VNC (which is free by the way) This will allow you to open the other machine as a window on your desktop. Thereby enabling you to successfully run any and all applications on the remote machine. This includes email, quicken, web browsing etc.

Steve

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/57156