1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sharing Files over a Wireless Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by serash, Apr 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. serash

serash Thread Starter

Okay! I'm back, bought myself a NetGear MR814v3 wireless router!

All hooked up. I enabled WEP. Set it up on the laptop. Internet is working. Here's how it's set up.

PC is hooked up to the modem/router via ethernet. The laptop is connected wirelessly.

The problem comes with them both sharing files through the shared files folder. They don't share. If the laptop's name is 'K', if I go into 'My Network Places' and it shows the subcategory 'LOCAL NETWORK' with 'SharedDocs on K (K)... but I can't access it on the PC. If I doube click that folder, it brings me to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents.

The PC's name is 'KFamily'- but that one SEEMS to be sharing folders/files because I have a sample one in there and it shows that it's sharing it under KFamily.

Help. =(

2. Sponsor

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

When you go to My Network Places, it shows you folders it remembers. They may or may not still exist, be accessible, etc. Suggest that when you go to My Network Places try clicking on "show workgroup computers." Try a second time if necessary. If both PC and laptop show both computers, you're well on your way. Then double click on the other computer's icon to see its shares. If not successful, what did you get? What OS do you have on each machine?

4. serash

serash Thread Starter

It's still not working;

Both are running Windows XP SP2.

When I go to 'Show Workgroup', it shows both computers, but when I double click the opposing computer, it shows:

\\(Computer Name) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. --- The Network Path was not found.

I am the admin on both computers & the router.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

I worked for weeks on a similar problem (but in one direction only), with "help" from Microsoft Technical Support and lots of good help in this forum. My conclusion was, and still is after more experimenting and more results with other PCs, that my PC that cannot be accessed is somehow corrupted (it's had 2 1/2 years to get that way) and I will need to do a disk format and clean reinstall to network. If you have XP Home, I think there's a very good chance that you have the same type of problem that I do. With XP Professional you have a better chance. See the discussion and JohnWill's suggestions in http://forums.techguy.org/t344973.html

Good luck, and please keep us informed of your tests and progress.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/349947