1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sharing files with XP firewall on

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Stone Dog, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stone Dog

Stone Dog Thread Starter

Is it possible to share files over a home network with the Windows XP firewall left on? I can only get it to work when I turn off the firewall. :confused:

2. roban

roban

Not to my knowledge unless you configure it to open certain ports. Start/Network Connections and Double click your internet connection icon. Choose properties and then settings. There you will be presented with a window with several options. You can edit these to include IP's you want to allow.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Also, the firewall in SP2 is a much more user friendly, a lot more options, and has the necessary ports already configured for local network sharing

5. Stone Dog

Stone Dog Thread Starter

Hmmm...I can enter an IP address but it insists on specific port numbers. I have no idea what ports are used for file sharing though.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221479

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice