1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sharing files

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Biffster, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Biffster

Biffster Thread Starter

Hello!
    I'm having a problem with my connection.
    I have two computers both with winXP, and I also have to Ethernet cards, one PCI and one USB, and a crossover cable.

I also have an internet connection shared between the two comps and it works perfectly, but when I'm trying to share folders, there is a problem!
    I go to "My Computer" right click on the hard drive and choose "sharing and security" and choose to share the drive (and I know how to do this because ive done it before and it worked) but when i go into "My Network Places" I can't seem to find the drives I share (and this happens on both comps) and if i try to open the workgroup there comes an error messages (says something like: You are not authorised to do this)
    I've selected a workgroup name, wich are the same on both comps, and I've selected a computer name, wich are not the same, but nothing seems to work!!!

Does anyone know what could be wrong (besides my spelling)!

:confused:

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Did you enable file sharing on the two systems? Do you have an account with the same name and password as the other machine is using to logon? Do you see the other computer in Network Places?

3. Biffster

Biffster Thread Starter

I did enable file sharing on both systems, and I have different logins. but I don't se the other computer and I cant ping it but the internet connection sharing works perfect.
    so this is all strange to me!:confused:

4. Spop

Spop

Did you check and made sure you did not have faulty cables and did you check and and see that you had a green light on each card on?

5. grondie

grondie

Check to see if XP's internet connection firewall is not enabled.

6. Biffster

Biffster Thread Starter

cables are fine and the green light is on and the network is connected, I think it's not a hardware problem but a software....
    Because the internet connecton sharing works fine and I can see the network icon in the system tray, and it shows 100mbits so it's not the hardware....
    And now I can ping the ip between them and I found the workgroup, but still I can't share files!

:confused:

7. Spop

Spop

Did you check to see was all the the diferent administrator policies correct?

8. DVOM

DVOM

In w2k when you share out a drive like C: (getting you C$ as the share name), you then have to go down to the lower right of the window and click "new share". Then give it a name. (I always name it cshare).

Don't know if this applies to XP.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yep, W2K or XP work the same way.

10. Biffster

Biffster Thread Starter

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116067

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice