1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sharing Firefox profile between users in Vista x64

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Monica25, Apr 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Monica25

Monica25 Thread Starter

Using Vista x64 hm prem. My FF & TB profiles & bookmarks were created under the default Administrator acct in Vista (custom profiles - not "Default"). Trying to SHARE same custom user profile / bookmarks between admin & standard Vista user acct.

When try to use FF Profile Mgr to create new profile under a standard user acct in Vista (not Administrator), & browse to profile location to select existing custom profile (per several Mozilla KBs), it's not visible - but "Default profile is."

Read several Mozilla KBs on using existing FF or TB profiles when creating new acct under another (Windows) user acct. Instructions are simple, but KBs may not address issues sharing profiles in Vista x64. KBs say should be no problem sharing same profile between users, but maybe not in Vista x64?

I have "show hidden files / folders" checked under the Administrator & std user acct. When logged in under std user acct & browse to the profile location, only default profile is visible.

Tried everything can think of, Re: from w/in the admin acct, giving permissions / sharing the Mozilla appdata folder w/ a standard user acct. Custom profile created in admin acct just won't show in Explorer - no matter what.

All the security features of Vista x64 are fine, but some are so complex I'm sure many users turn off some when possible.

Tried this for TB - same problem. Maybe I missed an article w/ instructions on sharing profiles in Vista x64, or just need to change secret setting(s)? No help from Mozilla forum.

Thanks.

2. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

I"m not sure if this will work, but how about moving the Profile to a shared folder ?
    Check this article
    T. :)

3. Monica25

Monica25 Thread Starter

Thanks. I'd read that KB, but obviously didn't "get it" the 1st 3 or 4 times I read it!

It links to this KB, which may be more useful for sharing a profile in Vista, here:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder

Could be wrong, but don't think Vista will share the FF profile among users as long as it's located in UserName>Appdata>Mozilla...>Profiles path, regardless of whether those folders are set to "share" between specific users. Least, I couldn't get it to.

Key seems to be copying the profile folder / files to a drive like C:, D:, etc., then using Profile manager to create a new profile & browse to the new location just created.

BIG QUESTION: What about extensions / themes installed (in same default location as user profile)?
    Will it be possible to move their location & share between users, and will auto updates for extensions still work?
    Haven't seen ANYTHING about this. ? May have to install extensions under each user login, and do extension updates under each user login? No clue.

I should've gotten this earlier, but silly me, just thought setting the default profile in UserName\Appdata to "share" w/ another username (in Vista) would work. Didn't for me.:(

Haven't tested this out yet, so don't know if other problems might pop up by moving profile, like updates, etc.

4. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

I would suggest setting up the profile and seeing if it does indeed share.
    If it works OK, it would be a simple matter of emptying the contents of the folder (not the folder itself as that's what Firefox looks for) and copying the contents of the profile folder you want to use into the empty folder.
    Any extensions and themes that are loaded into the profile (as opposed to ones that install into the Program File) should transfer.
    Shouldn't be a problem with updates as long as Firefox knows where the Profile is located.
    The main trick with all this is creating shortcuts in each user account that point to the shared Profile location instead of the default for the user account.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/822292