1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sharing hard drive on XP!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Gatekeeper, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Thread Starter

I've networked to computers using a router and I am wanting to share the hard drives on both computers. One computer is running win98 other is running XP. From the system with XP I have no problems accessing the hard drive on the system with win98, but when I try to access the hard drive in the XP system I can only access certain folders and I need to be able to access the program folder and when I try the system gives me an error of "Program files not accessible access denied". Anyone have any ideas? Need some help on this one.

2. dtugg

dtugg

Sounds like your file systems are different.

You've probably got XP using the NTFS file system which WIN98 cannot read......

:(

dtugg

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, it has nothing to do with the type of filesystem, which is not a factor networking. It's due to the permissions that the user on the W98 machine has. Are you using the GUEST account to log into XP? What rights does the account used to access the XP machine have?

4. dtugg

dtugg

How do you edit a reply?

IE... The one above!! :)

5. DVOM

DVOM

On any reply, up in the right corner is "report/quote/edit". Click on the "edit".

6. pthres

pthres

Set-up an Identicle Username / Password account on the XP machine as the Win98 machine, then right click on the folders on the XP machine you want to share and set the properties to allow this certain user access.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113817

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice