Sharing hard drive on XP!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Gatekeeper

I've networked to computers using a router and I am wanting to share the hard drives on both computers. One computer is running win98 other is running XP. From the system with XP I have no problems accessing the hard drive on the system with win98, but when I try to access the hard drive in the XP system I can only access certain folders and I need to be able to access the program folder and when I try the system gives me an error of "Program files not accessible access denied". Anyone have any ideas? Need some help on this one.

Sounds like your file systems are different.

You've probably got XP using the NTFS file system which WIN98 cannot read......

:(

dtugg

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, it has nothing to do with the type of filesystem, which is not a factor networking. It's due to the permissions that the user on the W98 machine has. Are you using the GUEST account to log into XP? What rights does the account used to access the XP machine have?

On any reply, up in the right corner is "report/quote/edit". Click on the "edit".

Set-up an Identicle Username / Password account on the XP machine as the Win98 machine, then right click on the folders on the XP machine you want to share and set the properties to allow this certain user access.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online