1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sharing internet between two computers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Eve, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Eve

Eve Thread Starter

I have not tried to set this up because I don't know what I am doing.I have two computers running windows 98 with etherlink III netcards in both and I have cat5 cable with RJ45 connectors. I have a dial-up modem. My question is how do I get these two computers hooked up to share the same internet connection?
    What I need is for these two computers to be able to get on the internet at the same time. Thanks for any help that you can give.

2. Anthony2816

Anthony2816

In order to connect two computers without a router, switch or hub, you need a cable called a "crossover" cable. It looks very similar to the one you have, but some of the wires are have switched positions.

Then tell the computer with the modem that you want it to share its internet connection (I actually can't recall if Win98 has ICS, or Internet Connection Sharing, built in. If not, you'll have to use third-party software). The client computer can then access the internet via the server computer.

3. Eve

Eve Thread Starter

I do not have ICS on eather computer. What kind of hub do I need and is there anything else I will to buy to get these computers hooked up?

4. Anthony2816

Anthony2816

For just two computers, a crossover cable would be cheaper than a hub.

A hub connects several computers together, but allows the traffic between different pairs of computer to slow down that between other pairs.

A switch is like a hub, but keeps the paths separate. A better choice if all the computers are communicating with each other at once.

A router is like a switch or hub, but has it's own connection to go to a modem, which it then shares with all the computers. It's usually used with always-on DSL or cable internet, not with a dial-up account.

As far as software to handle the sharing, you can:

1) Upgrade the computer with the modem to Windows Me, 2000, or XP.

2) Add a third party software package to do the job. WinGate is an example of the latter. But a simple and free solution can be found here:

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm

Complete instructions can be found here:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/sharing.html

5. Eve

Eve Thread Starter

Thank you for your help. I will give it a try and hope that everything go's well. Will let you know how it comes out.
    Thank you for your help again.

6. Anthony2816

Anthony2816

Good luck! I happened to notice, by the way, that Windows first included ICS in the 98SE version, so looks like you just missed it!

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, with only two computers, there is no difference in throughput between a hub and a switch, since everything that is transmitted will be received by the other system. FWIW, if you are near a Microcenter, they have a rebate going on a 5 port 10/100 GigaFast switch, net price is $9.95 after the rebate. Hard to go wrong, and you have room for several more computers. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115761

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice