1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sharing Internet Connection With XP Machine

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Phil_Crane, Sep 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Phil_Crane

Phil_Crane Thread Starter

Ok we have a vista machine which is connected directly to the internet and then a ethernet lead coming out of the vista machine into the hub and a ethernet lead coming out of the hub into the xp laptop.

Now i have tried and failed to share the internet connection with the laptop.

Can anyone shien any light on the situation for me please?

thanks

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Tell us more about these machines and the way they are connected to the internet.
    I think you mean that there is a router, with two cables connect two computer to the router. As for a computer directly connected to the internet is not likely. The router is either connected to the internet by a Phone DSL or TV Cable provider and then to the computers.

Are you on a cable or a DSL connection, and who is the ISP?

3. Phil_Crane

ok lets start again

isp = virgin media (cable connected 24/7)

the vista machine is connected directly to the modem via a usb lead. there is a ethernet lead coming from the back of the vista machine going into the HUB not a router. then we have a second ethernet lead coming out of the HUB going into the back of the laptop which is running windows xp pro with sp2

4. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    What firewall are you using?

It may be part of McAfee or Norton's or a another maker.

When opening Internet Explore what do you get on your screen?

5. mrss

mrss Guest

Have you tried to enable ICS, internet connection sharing. It is explained in the help/support section in Vista.

6. Phil_Crane

mcafee is on the laptop but we have it disabled. internet explorer is page not found because we aitn setup the internet sharing for the laptop which is what were trying to do now as we had it running when they were both on xp but we boguht a new machine and it is vista so were trying to get the laptop on the tinternet via the vista machine

7. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    All one needed to do was plug in the cable and reboot the machine, some times that is not even required.

When you turn OFF McAfee firewall the Windows firewall will kick in so it may be blocking the access.

Turn McAfee back on and add the required settings to allow the use of the internet.

I do NOT and will not use McAfee

8. Phil_Crane

well i restarted the modem then i retsrated the latop and pc and still no tinterweb on the laptop but the pc is working fine.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Using a router would be much easer. To use your current setup, you have to enable Internet Connection Sharing. This isn't a firewall issue unless you've already gone through the process to setup ICS.

10. Phil_Crane

if i got a router it would all be just simple throw the modem intot he router via ethernet then branch out ot both computers witha ethernet lead and there would be no messing about would there? plug and play

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Pretty much, yes. Definitely much easier than using what you have now.

12. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    A hub is the same as a router but does NOT have any built in protection. So by replace the hub at this point will not change any thing, but I would recommend that you get one.
    Have you gone in and made the selections using ICS?

13. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

A hub is not the same as a router. You can't share an Internet connection (with 1 IP address) with a hub.

14. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    I have several HUBs and each of the has 4 CAT5 outputs and one Cat5 input.
    If that is NOT sharing what is?

I have been using hubs behind routers since the DOS days to expand my network with internet access on ALL machines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_hub

15. mrss

mrss Guest

Microsoft must disagree, there's a diagram showing exactly that ... modem -> PC -> hub -> more PC's .. in Vista's Help and Support section on ICS. It also tells you how to do each step of the process.

I did this a long time ago with a Win98se PC connected to a dial up modem and a hub with one PC behind it. LOL, when I got cable modem a week later, the service guy plugged my PC into the modem via USB bcause he couldn't get the LAN figured out and I still ran a hub ... for one day.

I bought a router that evening to get NAT and figured out the LAN issue - pretty simple. I still use the hub behind a router to run Lan jacks to several rooms in my house.

But I do agree, A hub or switch is not the same as a router. A router gives you NAT security and some of them give you more useful features. I persuaded my friend to install an inexpensive router and he only has the cable modem plus one PC.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/618830

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice