1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sharing internet: pc & mac

Discussion in 'Networking' started by angry, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angry

angry Thread Starter

i am trying to share an internet connection with a mac. my pc has win98SE with a cable modem hooked up via USB port. i downloaded wingate and am trying to use NAT to get the mac to share my pc's internet. i am having no luck. this is supposed to be easy but i am lost. if anyone can help i would greatly appreciate it. here is my basic setup:

PC:
    cable modem hooked up to pc through usb - that all works fine. i have a nic card installed in the pc that should be working fine it is connected to a hub - not sure how to use wingate to utilize my nic. should i use DHCP through wingate or specify my own IP address??

MAC:
    OS is 7.6.1. i have a nic on this machine hooked up to the same hub and the hub is showing a link with both the pc and the mac. i am not very familiar at all with mac networking. under my tcp/ip options i can basically manually enter an IP or use a "MacIP" server to obtain an address. which should i do?? can my pc with wingate act as a MacIP server? another thing that bothers me with my mac config is that i don't see anywhere to specify the subnet mask or the default gateway - unless mac calls these something different.

i just want to share the internet i don't care about sharing files at this time. if anyone has any experience with this i would really appreciate the help. thanks,
    joel

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113830

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice