1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sharing Internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DrBillK, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DrBillK

DrBillK Thread Starter

Okay, I'll try to keep this short. I'm stationed on a Marine Base and haven't had internet access. Currently using Cricket 3G internet through a Pantech UM185 modem in my laptop's USB. I have a Toshiba Satellite A505 with 4GB RAM. Running Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit).

They just installed wifi in the building, so will be switching to that soon. However, I also have a phone that can use wifi... and my son comes to visit from time to time and likes to be able to use his XBox and his phone with wifi too. Unfortunately, they want to charge per device... not just have wifi for my room.

So, here's what I'm trying to do. I want to use my Cricket internet access on my laptop and connect it to the Netgear N600 wireless dual band router so that my phone and my son's equipment can share my internet connection. If I can get that to work, I'll switch over to connecting to the building's wifi for my laptop and sharing that.

I've currently gone in and turned on ICS for my Cricket connection. I can find the SSID from my router on my phone, but it has no internet. I've tried connecting the laptop via ethernet to the router both in WAN and LAN sides. No luck. Just tired of getting ripped off. At home I was able to share my Verizon FiOS internet access through a wireless router. Just frustrating me. HELP?! Please?

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

3. DrBillK

DrBillK Thread Starter

That might just be the solution while I have the Cricket 3g; however, planning on switching to the wifi in the building for my laptop and want to share that out to my phone and son's XBox & phone. Don't see how that router will help.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I assume "they" have good reason for that, and we will not help circumvent such restrictions. Closing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971226

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice