1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sharing links over Wi-Fi as a coffee shop service

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JRoebs, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRoebs

JRoebs Thread Starter

I work at an independent coffee joint and I was mulling over an idea for customers.

I'd like to have a local wireless signal broadcast a link to somewhere on the internet (whether it be for a coupon, news, or just sending people somewhere they'd hopefully enjoy), and I'm not sure how to go about doing that. We do provide free Wi-Fi already, and we have quite a few old computers and routers laying around from the publishing firm upstairs. The idea is that the link itself is only accessible from inside/close to the shop (wherever I link them to they can access anywhere, of course), in order to get people to come by and check what's posted.

Is this doable? Are there any safety precautions I should take to avoid abuse/hijacking?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!