1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sharing MS Access?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Dynamix, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dynamix

Dynamix Thread Starter

I have a DB that I need to be able to share with my friend remotely so we can both view/edit and add data.

What's the best way to facilitate this using MS Office 2007?

Thanks guys!

2. draceplace

draceplace

Without being on a network\workgroup together this is hard to do. Remote Desktop \ PC anywhere would allow someone to get to the database from 'outside'. You could also get someone on the internet to 'host' it.

If the DB is simple enough you could work on seperate copies and occasionally send updates to each other and append records to various tables. Like I said the 2 copies thing would only work if the DB is NOT generating its own keys and is not complex.

3. Dynamix

Dynamix Thread Starter

The DB is far from complex. Two tables, simple stuff. But very essential and updated often.

You mentioned something about someone hosting it? I have my own host space.. But how would that work?

4. draceplace

draceplace

Not sure exactly how that works. I would post over in Networking and see what answers you get. Web pages can connect to DataBases, you set a password, login and get on the database. Google brings back tons of companies doing it.

Clunky update plan
    twice perday one person exports table (or two tables) of changes (Design Query to identify changes) to .csv that is emailed to partner. Partner updates his tables and email full tables back to first person.

There's several ways of doing this until you can justify a network or figure out hosting.

5. OBP

OBP

You should be able to use an "Database Access Page" for Access versions 2000 to 2003. It is an SML based Access Form that goes on your Web Site.
    Access 2007 uses a different method that is "supposed" to be even better.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758500

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice