1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sharing my Sprint phone connection via ICS or AdHoc

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MiamiBlueMoon, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MiamiBlueMoon

MiamiBlueMoon Thread Starter

Greetings Techies! :eek:

Just so everyone knows I have taken a lot of time to read up on all the goodies about sharing my internet connection. I'm a bit glad to have lost my Comcast connection yesterday as it will force to me to figure out how to configure the connection to share my sprint internet.

1. How I connect-
    For anyone who has a nifty sprint phone with windows mobile its just as fast as my old sprint card. So now I only pay one bill and I can use my internet on the road. I start up my browser and then head to the internet sharing tab, I can do blue tooth or USB. For now Ill be using USB since its the most reliable. Ive connected the internet to my desktop computer which is connected to my wireless router.

2. How to share? ICS or Ad HOC
    AD HOC-
    In a few weeks I will be on the road and will need to figure out how to get this connection shared via adhoc. I have tried on numerous occasions to do this and failed always. I suspect this and everything else I have an issue with has to do with the sprint phone and how it connects.
    *Problem-
    No errors, nothing at all, can anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial or thread that deals with someone successfully sharing their phones internet via adhoc?

ICS-
    Today I am trying ICS because my desktop is connected to my wireless router yet I see no end in sight. Honestly I have not ever used ICS so I couldn't even begin to understand what I might be doing wrong.
    *Problem-
    I connected the internet... works fine... I'm here! Try to connect to my router (now multiple networks) and the internet drops. I believe that its because of the conflicting IPs, both are set to obtain automatically. When I disable Internet Protocol Version 4 on my home network (not phone) the internet comes back up and im still connected to both networks. I realize that is not really a fix as I am shutting something off that I will need.

* Can I set an IP manually for either network, home(router) or phone(internet)? keeping in mind this is all to share the phones connection

after doing that Im hoping that I can just go to sharing, enable and that magically my other computers will experience internet bliss.

I do in fact still need to figure out how to share VIA ad hoc as I will be on the road soon and I would love it if me and my hubby can both be online when we stop to hang out at the truck stops. :)

Please help...

~Angel

2. avisitor

avisitor

Well, the easiest way is to get the KR2 or one of those CradlePoint routers that does it all automatically. You plug your phone into it and it shares the connection. If your phone has WiFi, you can use WmWifiRouter to do the job for you as well.

However, doing any of this without paying Sprint the PAM fee is against your contract. YMMV. The PAM fee's only $15 anyway, it's probably worth paying.

3. MiamiBlueMoon

MiamiBlueMoon Thread Starter

Those routers sound great but I would have to have another thing to connect to power in my car etc... is there any software you could recommend that may help me share my phones internet?

I don't know what you mean about my contract but a sprint rep set this up, no 3rd party software or shortcuts. Just plain internet sharing that comes with windows mobile.

So does anyone know what I can do to connect to both of my networks?

I want to have my phones network and my local network working. What can I type in as an alternative IP address and Subnet mask?
    would this help?

why would they be working against each other? I would like to just have the internet and be able to file share even if Im not sharing the internet.

4. avisitor

avisitor

So what you need to do is use ICS and disable DHCP on the router. That should fix your problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757767

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice