1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sharing 'net connection with wireless access point (NOT router)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ultimax, Jun 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ultimax

ultimax Thread Starter

Hi guys,

a bunch of my friends are sharing an apartment which has a cable modem 'net connection this summer. One of the guys brought his wireless access point (Dlink DWL-1000AP) but as we've already found out, we can't share the cable modem connection wirelessly with it alone.

We realised we need a router so we're gonna buy one 2nd hand (looking at the 4 port Linksys one). My question is this : Do I use a "normal" cable to connect the router to the wireless access point, or do I need to use a "cross-over" cable.

Also, do I need to get anything else? Will the router+wireless access point function just like a wireless router?

thanks!

Shu

2. saikee

saikee

The wireless point is enable users with wireless cards to make connection to the router "WITHOUT" a cable.

You are right in thinking a router is needed for several PCs to share an incoming line.

You can still make connection to the router to pick up the signal by a physical cable (RJ45). However if the router is in another room a wireless card is a much neater solution. The wireless card makes the connection to the wireless access point which you have already got now.

One more thing you need to know the transmission capability of the wireless access point. It should either be 802.11b or 802.11g. The latter is 5 times faster. The wireless cards should be compatible without saying.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, the DWL-1000AP is an 802.11b device, so answering that part of the question is easy. :) The LAN Ports on the DWL-1000AP+ are Auto-MDI/MDIX, so you can use a straight cable regardless of what it's connected to.

4. ultimax

ultimax Thread Starter

Hi guys,

thanks for your replies!

I found a deal for a linksys wireless router. It was only a couple of bucks more than the wired version.

Would I be able to extend the range of the router if I connected my friend's wireless access point to that router. We've got a pretty long length of LAN cable, so I was thinking of having the wireless router in one room and the wireless access point (connected to the router) in another room downstairs to maximise coverage. Of course the wireless router may be sufficient, but I'm guessing it won't because some of the walls are pretty thick.

Would that work?

thanks!

Shu

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/238535

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice