1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sharing NT files with XP and back

Discussion in 'Networking' started by radiated, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. radiated

radiated Thread Starter

I am having trouble with my 2 XP computers reading (networking) with my NT4 computer. Please advise.
    I just installed a LAN in my home which ideally connects 3 computers and shares the files between all 3. However, it does not and I cannot figure out why.
    I am using a wireless router/access point (linksys), and a USB wireless (linksys) setup for one of the other computers, and a integrated 802.11b wireless sony laptop.
    The NT computer has a linksys PCI card in it and it is hard wired to the router in port 1.
    OK, now here is the problem!!
    Both the XP machines can see each other and exchange data with each other. The NT machine can see both XP machines and can retrive files from either XP machine. However, niether of the XP machines can retrieve files from the NT machine. So what's happening? I feel that it has to be something with the configuration of the NT machine, something with the sharing and/or premissions aspect of its setup but as of yet I don't know what it is.
    Can anyone help me with this problem?
    I appreciate all the help that you all can provide.
    Thanks
    Jim

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

do you have user accounts set up on the nt box giving the xp boxes access?

by this I mean if you are logging into your xp box as "radiated" have you set up a user on the NT box named "radiated"?

Do you have anything shared on the nt machine?

3. chrisbyrd

chrisbyrd

is the 'guest' account activated in NT?

4. gkimble

gkimble Account Disabled

Upgrade the NT box to service pack 6a, make sure your using crossover cable and convert the drive to ntfs if you haven't already

5. radiated

radiated Thread Starter

I have the user account activated.
    The first response sounded promising. I do sign into the NT box as administer with radiated so are saying I also have to setup a user account as radiated and if so then where would I set this account up at? Is it through the administrative tool section?

My workgroup is setup as workgroup and all three computers are setup with this same name. Does that make the domain name workgroup?

I have upgraded to NT6a already.

Please continue with your suggestions, they are appreciated very much. This is my first attempt with both NT and networking but you all know how it is, you find a problem and you can't put it down until you find the answer and then you go out and find another problem. Hey that's how we learn and hoping gain knowlegde to help others.

Thanks again
    I'm going to leave my computer on so I can try to check on answers even though my wife is looking at me with that look that says "if you don't get off that thing I'm going to throw it out the window"

Please respond with more help
    Jim

6. Rockn

Rockn

GK's pat answer for NT is to convert the file system to NTFS. What is the file system on both of the XP boxes? What version of NT are you using...Workstation or server? if the file system on the NT box is currently NTFS and the XP boxes are running FAT32 you may have problems accessing the files on NT. If it is a server and you created a domain controller the XP boxes workgroup name needs to match the server and should all be the same even if it is NT workstation. What network protocol are you using? What IP address scheme are you using between the three if you are using TCP/IP?

7. radiated

radiated Thread Starter

I am using Ntfs file system on the NT box and on both the XP machines I don't know. Probably whatever loads by default. It just doesn't seem likely that the NT machine would be able to communicate with the XP machines but not the other way around. The nt box is a workstation, no servers.
    I don't have to sign into my xp boxes no passwords.
    It has to be something in my nt box in the user setup, I'm convinced of that.
    Please help if you can.
    OK, my wife is about ready to kill me so I have to sign off.
    I'll be back on tomorrow night.
    If someone can walk me through the setup procedure on the NT box I would appreciate it. You know like 1,2,3, etc... it would be nice.
    I'll get back on at about 6pm EST on 2/7
    Thanks folks
    Jim

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FYI, the type of filesystem on the networked PC's has NOTHING to do with connectivity, as long as the permissions are set properly locally. In point of fact, NTFS is normally the more difficult one to setup, since you actually have permissions you can tinker with, and break. :)

My basic point is, NTFS or FAT on any and/or all of the systems is not a factor in successful networking.

9. Rockn

Rockn

Amen brother!! I have only seen problems with FAT volumes accessing NTFS volumes and I currently run both on my home and office network without any connectivity issues. XP is probably the bane of every IS managers existence at this point. I personally do not care for Xp or it's networking model....it seems that M$ has tried to dumb it down and doesn't want to give the end user that many options as far as configuration. The whole XP Pro and Home thing has been kind of a deception. If you are in a corporate or office environment with an NT or other domain you are kind of screwed if you aren't savvy enough to know or research the limitations of XP Home in a domain. My rant is over....:D

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The limitations of XP-Home in a domain is no workie! :D:D

11. radiated

radiated Thread Starter

Hi
    So will a NT box let an XP box(s) network with it?
    That is if a person knows what they are doing will it work?

Obviously I don't.

Last night I downloaded a program off the net called NetworkView 2. I loaded it on one of my XP boxes and ran it and the results from that indicated to me that every machine was on the network and communicating with every other machine.

However, the diagram shows what looks like four computers when I only have three on the network. Prehapes the forth item in the diagram is the wireless AP/router.
    The diagram provides the following data:
    1. 192.168.1.1 00-06-25-91-9E-CF/The Linksys Group
    2. 192.168.1.100 NT 00-04-5A-89-A0-3A/The Linksys Group
    3. 192.168.1.101 LAPTOP1800 00-D0-59-BD-1D-B0/
    Ambit Microsystems
    4. 192.168.1.102 XP1800 00-06-25-0E-08-39/The
    Linksys Group

I think (1) above is the Wireless AP/router, the picture on the diagram looks like it is trying to indicate a server but that just might be misleading.

I just think that if the NT box can read both the XP boxes then the XP boxes should be able to read the NT box, I'm really hoping it is a problem with the premissions or users aspect of the NT setup and that someone will be able to talk me through it. It just makes sense to me.

I'm going to stay online the rest of the evening and on if needed, I really need to get this resolved and I'm hoping someone will come to my rescue.

Thanks
    Jim

12. gkimble

gkimble Account Disabled

Yes, an NT box can co-exsist with XP.

13. radiated

radiated Thread Starter

Hi gkimble:
    OK, now that we have established that it can be done can you tell me how it can be accomplished?

As you can tell by my previous posts I require some simple step by step instructions so maybe I will be able to understand and follow them.

Pretend I know next to nothing or even nothing about networking and try to explain it to me please.

Thanks for responding and please keep it up.

I have already learned a lot but not enough.

Have you read the previous post?
    I think I have explained my situation but if you have any questions please ask and I'll respond as best as possible.

Jim

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117279

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice