1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sharing One Mouse and Keyboard Between two PC's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SkywardSoulXCIV, Jul 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SkywardSoulXCIV

SkywardSoulXCIV Thread Starter

Hello,

Not very tech savvy here. However, I know of a few ways this could possibly be set up with hardware and software, just covering a bases to not be flagged by my employer since handling sensitive information the the majority of my job description. I have two computers on a rather small desk, work laptop and personal computer. Software is out of the question since I don't have permissions to download on the work laptop. I want to be able to just use the same mouse and keyboard for both to clear up some desk space for paperwork. If I am to invest in a KVM or have them purchase one for me, is there a way to configure it so that file-sharing is not an option? If not what other options are available?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Side note (not sure if this makes a difference): Personal PC is connected though an Ethernet cable directly to home router. Work PC is connected through an employer issued router through an Ethernet cable. Same ISP

2. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
  3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I use a KVM (with monitor, mouse and keyboard between a Windows 7 and Windows 2K computer) and had one set up for my husband when he was using both an XP and a Windows 7 computer. There is no file sharing between the two computers. You are either working on one computer or the other but not both.

4. fishboy75

fishboy75

As already stated, a KVM will do the job perfectly whilst keeping the two machines independent other than the shared mouse, keyboard and monitor.

5. SkywardSoulXCIV

SkywardSoulXCIV Thread Starter

Thank you everyone!

6. MicahReallyNeedsHelp

MicahReallyNeedsHelp

You could purchase a Logitech keyboard and mouse. Some of them you can switch between devices, no software needed. However, they are a little bit expensive but are totally worth it.

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    What is on the desk right now ? Using a KVM will not save much desk space.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230463

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice