1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sharing printer on XP PC with Win ME

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Martyhfl, Jan 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martyhfl

Martyhfl Thread Starter

I am attemting to share an HP deskjet printer on XP home with a Windows ME PC. I have the shares enbled and can share files. The ME maching does't see the printer on the network. When I go into the properties of the shared printer in XP and click on the advanced button, it tells me I must install the Windows ME driver also to share it with the ME PC. There is a whole list of different OS's with check boxes. I check the 95/98/me box and install the driver but XP tells me the digital signiture is not valid and won't take the driver. I D/Led the lastest drive from HP with the same results. Any suggestion on how to load the driver or where to find one that will work?

thanks
    Marty

2. elsinaj

elsinaj

You can disable the safeguard for installing unsigned drivers.

Section below is form the helpfile of w2k. This option also goes for XP.

To set file signature verification options

Open System in Control Panel.
    Click the Hardware tab, and then click Driver Signing.
    Under File signature verification, click one of the following:
    Click Ignore to allow all device drivers to be installed on this computer, regardless of whether they have a digital signature.
    Click Warn to display a warning message whenever an installation program attempts to install a device driver without a digital signature.
    Click Block to prevent an installation program from installing device drivers without a digital signature.
    Notes

If you are a logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group, click Apply setting as system default to apply the selected setting as the default for all users who log on to this computer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!