1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sharing printer on XP print server to windows 7 workstation

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TrevpHi, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrevpHi

TrevpHi Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm having an issue with sharing a HP 2025 printer from a XP Pro print server to a windows 7 workstation. The workstations are all on the same workgroup and all running off the same switch.

There are some xp workstations and some w7 worskstations. The xp workstations add the printer via the sharename "\\Print-SVR\HP Colour" O.K. but the w7 machines continually ask me for a password to which I enter and get rejected. If I add the printer directly via it's IP address by creating a TCP/IP port it works perfectly fine. I have disabled all firewalls and set full access to 'everyone'on the printer. When I view all the devices on the workgroup I can see the other workstations as well as the print server. When I double click on another workstation (both XP and W7) from a W7 machine I am granted access without being prompted for a password except for the print server! When I try the print server I am asked for a password which it does not accept.

My question is; Why am I only asked for a password on the w7 machines and why does it not accept it when entered? Also, I have an identical setup at 10 other locations however at these other locations the workstations are either all xp or all windows 7 (The print servers are identical and running xp at all locations). The only thing that differs at this location is that the workstations are a mix of w7 and xp on the workgroup. I don't see how this could cause a problem as the print server should be indifferent. I believe it will be a setting or a permissions issue on the print server but have run out of places to look.

If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1001093

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice