1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sharing Same Internet Account

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by backup808, Nov 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. backup808

backup808 Thread Starter

Is it illegal to have two people to share the same internet account? If they were to go on the net at the same time, would the connection speed be less or would it work at all? If it is illegal then I won't try it :)

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

backup808
    I am not a Lawyer so can not speak to the legal portion directly
    since all contracts could be different with ISPs'. However There are many equipment manufactures and software manufactures that have dedicated time and resources to developing products to allow multiple computer use on one assigned number. The way most feel is you are paying for access to the internet via one IP address and the amount of traffic that travels through that address is irrelevant.
    To your question of can you.....If you have a dial-up I do not think it would work or would it be advisable to try since your speed as it is is very slow. High speed connections on the other hand, Cable, DSL, T1 and so on a quite adept at handling traffic with very little bandwidth sharing problem. I am sure you could push a single home user line to the point of slowing however that would be an exception.
    The equipment required, Router, hubs, switches, and recently Wireless networks all have to be part of your decision because of cost and wiring used in interconnectivity.
    Here is a site I use that explains the ins and outs of networking.
    Click Here for site.
    Hope that helps and we will see if other have thought on the legal side of networking and using one IP address.
    Dave

3. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

It definitely violates terms of use to have to people using the same dial-up ISP account at the same time. You're only paying for one connection. Many ISPs have software or tools that keep track of or log multiple logins on the same account. Your account would be cancelled in a hurry.

I suggest you read the Terms of Service agreement between you and your ISP. You're held to it regardless of whether or not you actually read it. It's a binding legal contract.

As an FYI, if two people use the same dial-up account, the speed is not cut in half. That's not at all how dial-up accounts work. You're dialing into different modems. The speed is not affected regardless of how many people dial in using the same account.

4. angel

angel

Every ISP contract I've seen specifically stated you're not allowed to use an account on more than on computer at the same time. In fact, they are both usually disconnected when the second tries to log in. It doesn't disable the account but does prevent you from violating the rules. I would imagine there are some, however, that just log it and come back at you later.

So, as was said, read the contract or call them up and ask. Maybe there is an ISP or two out there who doesn't care?!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!