1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sharing/Transfer Data from one PC to another

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DaveBD, Mar 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DaveBD

DaveBD Thread Starter

Hello.

I have two PC's, both operating Windows 10, both are 64-bit. I am wanting to transfer a large amount of files from one to another. I just purchased a "Xtreme Tech USB 2.0 Data Transfer male to male cable". Only one of the PC's has ethernet access at a time (neither has Wifi). After connecting the data transfer USB cable to both PC's, I attempted starting a homegroup and that didn't work due to only one having internet access at a time. I also attempted to add the other PC as a device but it will not appear in the control panel. The cable did NOT come with an installation disc or any information whatsoever on installing drivers. I also visited xtremecables.com and they don't even carry this product anymore on the website. There also wasn't any information that I could find pertaining to a driver download for the product.

Is there an easy solution for this problem? Do I need to get a splitter for the ethernet cable so I can have internet access on both PC's at the same time?

Thanks,

Dave

2. 2twenty2

2twenty2

Here is some info for you until someone here can give you more help

Extreme Tech - Toll free 877-536-8766

Xtreme Tech USB 2.0 Data Transfer male to male cable PAC2-1017-AST is listed in their catalogue on page 39 located at their site - https://xtreme-cables.dcatalog.com/v/2018-Catalog/?page=40

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  3. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    You can't split ethernet cable.

Personally, I would update/alter the network to get them both connected at the same time. You can get a switch and cables pretty cheap.

Otherwise, a Google search seems to indicate you can do this via USB (although it will be much slower than ethernet): https://www.easeus.com/pc-transfer/file-transfer-from-pc-to-pc-usb.html

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Or, buy an external portable hard drive. Copy the files to it from the one computer then attach the hard drive to the other computer and copy the files over.

Once you are sure the files are on the 2nd device, it is safe to remove them from the 1st computer and perhaps the portable hard drive, unless you want a backup of the files off the computer.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Can you post a picture of the Xtreme cable, or a link to a picture of it on a website ?

I think you may just have a standard Usb 2.0 type A male to male cable, a transfer cable should have some sort of electronics which would be housed in a covering larger than a simple Usb male connector.

Does it look like this cable ? :- https://www.amazon.co.uk/C2G-USB-2-0-Male-Cable-Black/dp/B001U3ZP0Q

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1224597

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice