1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sharing violation in Excel

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by newrookie, Apr 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. newrookie

newrookie Thread Starter

We have a notebook running windows XP in Japanese. Recently, we have trouble saving file to the thump drive that we had been using. Error msg : sharing violation in directory x.

We were trying to save the file from the thump drive to the same drive by just changing a number eg. EEENNJJJEE (E - English Character, N- Numeric, J - Japanese Character. We were changing the numeric number.

There is no problem when we save the file to a different drive or change the name to an entirely new name.

Can anyone help?????

2. newrookie

newrookie Thread Starter

Solved. Don't really know why. I saved the file to a different computer, save the file to the new name (with only the number changed) and then copied this new file back to the thump drive.

This new file is now as good as new even when the thump drive is used on the original computer. We can now continue with the file as usual.

Don't understand why and if someone out there have an answer - would very much like to learn from you.

Thanks

3. newrookie

newrookie Thread Starter

:eek: oop!
    file was ok yesterday but this morning it was back to square one.

Anyone has any ideas?

Appreciate any suggestion.

Thanks

4. newrookie

newrookie Thread Starter

5. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

6. kagedmunky

kagedmunky

I'm having the same problem! Everytime I try to save a file in Excel it tells me a sharing violation occured and then it tries to get me to save the file with a different name (buncha letters and numbers). I did that once thinking everything would be ok. It wasn't. I even tried converting the file from the old format to the new etc. Nothing worked. I think it's a bug in the software.

7. kagedmunky

kagedmunky

Never mind. Figured it out. It was my printer driver that was causing the problem. It's listed on the Microsoft Knowledge Base.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/354242

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice