1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sharing Violation

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by QuiGonZel, Nov 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. QuiGonZel

QuiGonZel Thread Starter

I have an .exe file that I am trying to delete from a game and it's not going anywhere. I've uninstalled the game, but this file remains.

It says "cannot delete X: There has been a sharing violation. The source or destination file may be in use.

This file isn't being used or shared. I can't seem to get rid of it. What should I do?

2. Yakiba

Yakiba

It might still be running. In that case, I would open up the task manager and find it and terminate it there. Then try deleting it. I would then run spyware/antivirus to make sure it isn't one of those things.

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

4. QuiGonZel

QuiGonZel Thread Starter

Nothing's worked so far.

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Since Brute force would not work have you tried re-starting the computer and going into safe mode to try and get rid of it?

6. justme123

justme123

i've had the same problem, in my case the program was running in the back gound and i couldnt find it. try using a program called "[email protected]" or its called "moveonboot" either way its free and it solved my issue.

7. papadou

papadou

try to remove it in safe mode it my work!

8. Yakiba

Yakiba

In the past, I got some weird spyware that would not uninstall for the life of me. It was bundled with software I had. Anyway, the only way to uninstall it was to also take out the bundled software through the Add/Remove programs console. Don't know if that's the case here, but if you did, then this just might be it. Oh yeah, the software told me that it was virtually impossible to get rid of it without getting rid of the bundled software. After I uninstalled it, well, it was gone.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!