1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sharing Windows 7 laptop screen on Windows XP laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by emster21, Apr 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emster21

emster21 Thread Starter

Hello all, I hope I'm posting in the right forum.

I have one laptop running Windows 7 and one running Windows XP. I want whatever is on my Windows 7 laptop screen to be displayed on my Windows XP laptop screen (including videos). Please tell me how I can do this?

I tried Teamviewer and while it works perfectly, the problem is that it does not display videos. So if I'm playing a video on Win 7, on the WinXP screen it shows only a black screen. I checked the net and it seems a number of people experience this same issue.

Another problem is that my Win 7 laptop has only an HDMI port but no VGA port while the Win XP laptop has only a VGA port but no HDMI port.

I'd very much appreciate any help/suggestions.

Thank you

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    You can't do what you want to do.
    No matter what OS the computers are running, you can't force any computer to show the display of a different computer on its screen.
    The video ports are for displaying the computer's desktop on something like a monitor, tv or projector; not another computer.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    TeamViewer displays videos. I suspect that you have an issue with bandwidth and possibly with one or both computers being under-powered for what you are trying to do.

If you are using an ethernet-only LAN for the connection there should be no problem. Introduce Wi-Fi or the internet and you will begin to experience bandwidth problems.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226077

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice