1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sharing Wireless Internet Connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hoghead, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hoghead

hoghead Thread Starter

I am trying to share my wireless connection to the Internet with other computers. The computer with the wireless internet connection also has a NIC, which the other computer communicates. I can't find any documentation that describes a solution for this. Everything I have found assumes a wired or dial-up connection to the Internet. Microsoft's Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) apparently didn't address this senerio. Help please.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    do you have a wireless router ?

3. hoghead

hoghead Thread Starter

Yes I have a wireless router that connects to the Internet. My laptop connects to the wireless router. No issues there. I just can't figure out how to share the wireless connection with other computers wired to the laptop. It "appears" that Windows XP Pro didn't make allowance for this. It's easy to share the wired connection though that doesn't accomplish anything. The setup (wizards, etc) for sharing the wireless connection just don't appear. I'm stumped. At first I thought this would be straight forward.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Why are you sharing with the laptop? Just connect them directly wired or wirelessly to the router. :confused:

5. hoghead

hoghead Thread Starter

If you have any suggestions to resolve my problem I'd appreciate any help. Or, if you know whether my senerio is even do-able would be nice.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you need to provide more information - make and models etc

But the simplest thing as johnwill suggested - is you just connect each PC up to the router either by a cable or via the wireless depending on what you have available on each of the PC's

you dont need to share with laptop etc

so please give all the info about your set up

7. hoghead

hoghead Thread Starter

With all due respect, I'm well aware of the "simplest thing to do", but that's not what I asked. Here it is several emails down the road and no further along.
    I will research the problem on my own.
    Regards,

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Good luck. When you provide no useful information, you normally get the same quality suggestions.

9. hoghead

hoghead Thread Starter

Ya know when someone asks you why you're doing something (in a demeaning way) as opposed to how can I help you, they are displaying their ignorance of the subject. You just enjoy making an attempt at some sort of adolescent superior complex. I will not be back.

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

My guess is this is another wireless broadband (cellular) question. I believe this is the third in about a month. You're right in that ICS doesn't directly address this likely in part due to the fact that this is very new technology. It hasn't been around a long time, and it's primary purpose is to establish an internet connection for laptops on the go not for sharing in the home.

Unfortunately, none of the people who have posed this question have found any answers. I wish you luck, and I hope you post back if you find a resolution.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542751

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice