1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sharing with other computer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sweetcheekies, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sweetcheekies

sweetcheekies Thread Starter

I have just got a router so i can share my DSL connection with my other computer. The main computer runs winxp and the secondary computer runs win98se. Now alot of people told me that i can have it where if i type something on the secondary computer that i can send it to the printer from that computer. The printer etc is hooked up on the main computer. Nothing is on the secondary. Was wondering if this is so.. can someone walk me through how to do that step by step please.

Thanks

SweetC

2. itlu

itlu

make sure that U'r NETWORK Neighbourhood of primary has added secondary by its computer name and also all its contents appear properly.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

4. sweetcheekies

Okay i have all that set up but dont know how i can send a doc that i type up on the win98 puter to the printer that is set up on winxp.. i have it so its all shared .. just cant figure out how to send info to printer

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Can you see the printer on the network?

6. sweetcheekies

okay i have it so from the xp computer i can connect or share fromt he win98se computer. but when i try to access share from the win98se computer it gives me the network cannot be found error. any help would be appreicated.

Thanks

7. sweetcheekies

ACA do i have to set up the printer on the win98 computer? if so .. i dont have that done.. also i cant access anything on the xp computer from the 98 computer.

8. ~Candy~

I'm not following you. When you go to network neighborhood on the 98 machine, can you or can you not see the printer?

Can you see the XP machine in network neighborhood? Can you see yourself?

9. sweetcheekies

Okay ACA I have nothing in the network neighbourhood thing except entire network. so I take it that it didnt set up on the win98 computer right?

10. ~Candy~

So sorry, you were typing at the same time I was.

XP fire wall running?

11. ~Candy~

Do you have file and print sharing enabled on the 98 machine too?

12. sweetcheekies

I believe so .. I set it up.. so should have it.

13. ~Candy~

And you have some folder or drive shared on both computers? Can the XP machine see the 98 machine?

14. sweetcheekies

yes i can see the 98 machine and the xp machine on the xp machine.. I am thinking i screwed up on how to network the 98.. anyway i can check this? Or would it just be simpler to install winxp on the other computer .

15. ~Candy~

Did you turn the firewall off on the XP machine?

On the 98 machine, go to the control panel, networks, be sure you are using the Microsoft network logon, also be sure that file and print sharing is enabled, be sure that the work group showing in 98 is the same workgroup as you told XP about. Also, for now, on the 98 machine, go to my computer, right click on the hard drive, properties, do you have an option to share? If so, for right now, share the whole drive.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220190

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice