1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sharp TV and Internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by fitchfam, Jan 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fitchfam

fitchfam Thread Starter

We purchased a new Sharp smart TV yesterday, we got it home and plugged it in. Connected it to the WiFi and it said connected, a couple minutes later all of a sudden in the top right corner, it says its not connected to Wifi and it is out of range. Everything else that connects to the internet is working except for this TV. When I plug in my ROKU to the tv it works fine also. I don't know what to do next, can anyone help? The model number is LC-55Q7530U. It is a Sharp smart TV with android assist.

Thanks in advance
    Tina

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Two questions--and it's difficult to get answers to them when working with one of these TVs. A laptop or smart phone may help.

Is there any wireless interference at the TV's location?

How strong are the signals between the TV's antenna and the wireless router or access point?

3. AmyToo

AmyToo

First Name:
    Amy
    Is the Roku connected to the TV also connected to wifi? If yes, then the problem isn't with the signal.

Unless the TV is a Roku or Amazon Fire TV, it uses its own app environment, and they're notoriously unreliable. You could look for a firmware update that may or may not solve the problem.

The Roku is probably a better choice for streaming apps.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're assuming that those two devices share one antenna??? I think that would be true only if they were sold together as a package.

5. AmyToo

AmyToo

First Name:
    Amy
    I don't know what you mean about antenna.

I have a couple of Rokus connected to wifi. I had a smart TV a few years ago and it wouldn't stay connected to wifi. Both devices were next to each other. The problem wasn't signal. It was the smart TV.

Or is this a Roku TV?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That's pretty obvious.

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Do you have both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks? If so, can the TV see and connect to both?

8. AmyToo

AmyToo

First Name:
    Amy
    @Couriant, great idea! Both devices (Roku and TV) might be connected to different networks on the same router.

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I have seen my fair share of Smart TVs not being so... smart... but a possible wireless interference near the TV could cause the issue. Is the TV anywhere near the wireless access point/router?

10. AmyToo

AmyToo

First Name:
    Amy
    That's where I was going with my previous post. If both the SmartTV and the Roku are connected to the same router/access point (same wireless network), then I don't think it would be interference. How could interference affect just the SmartTV but not the Roku when they're in the same physical space?

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Quite possibly since they will not be using the same wireless card, or if the Smart TV has an external antenna but it's not connected, etc, I didn't look at the specific model.

It could also be a bad wireless card inside, which can happen.

12. AmyToo

AmyToo

First Name:
    Amy
    @Couriant Yep, it's totally possible the problem is with with SmartTV wifi card/chip. Doubt it's with the router/access point.

13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Is the modem/router not close to the TV?

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222136

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice