Shdoclc.dll error, can visit SOME working websites

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rocketmahn

I am running Windows 98se. I enter a lot of contests online, out of about 180 daily contests, about 19 contest pages will not let me load. I get a “cannot find server error”, though these 19 pages seem to be available to a lot of my friends.

I have cleaned out temp files, adjusted my browser settings numerable times and I don’t think that is the problem. I have also cleaned out my “HOST” file and renamed it to OLDHOST, reinstalled IE 6.0 a dozen times. Nada. This is what I discovered today:

When I get “cannot find server” error, I right clicked on the page and went to the properties to examine it. It looks like my computer is going back into my system hard drive looking for the location. For example, this contest is for a Dakota truck offered by Eprize. The properties listed are:

Cannot Find Server
Protocol: unknown protocol
Type: Not available
Connection: Not encrypted
Address (URL): Res://C:windows\system\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.HTM#http:/clients-00.eprize.net/Dakota/decoder/

Doesn’t this appear that my computer is looking into its own system files for the URL?

In addition, I looked for the file called “shdoclc.dll” on my computer. I have two of them:

1) shdoclc.dll (folder)C:Windows\S… (size)521KB (type)Application Extension
(created and modified) 8/29/02

When I right click on this file name and check out its file properties, it is a Microsoft Shell Doc Object and Control Library File. Is is file version 6.00.2800.1106. Further examination states that the internal file name is
SHDOCVW.DLL (notice the difference in the file name!), and operating system is Microsoft Windows (does not give a designation as to the type of Windows operating system)

2) shdoclc.dll (folder)C:Windows (size)384 KB (type)Application Extension
(CREATED March 31, 2004 MODIFIED July 23, 2001)

When I right click on this file to check its properties, it also has an internal file name of
SHDOCVW.DLL . And, note this, the product name is MICROSOFT 2000 OPERATING SYSTEM!!! Product Version 5.50.4807.2300 (BUT I’M USING WINDOWS 98!!!)

Is it possible that earlier this year while yanking out Spyware and Malware, that something got screwed up? This #2 file which seems to be for Windows 2000, I guess it is plausible that I downloaded the wrong patches from MS---I don’t know.

Should I go ahead and delete this #2 file and see if it helps me access these internet webpages?

In addition, this might be a related problem, I’m no longer able to defrag my system, I get a system file error message and it tells me to run scan disc. I do, it says it found errors and corrected them, but still won’t defrag---giving me the same message again. However, I AM able to defrag the hard drive in SAFE MODE---is this a clue?

Only thing I can add is to maybe reregister the dll by doing this. Quit all programs that are running.
Click Start, and then click Run.
Type regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll, and then click OK.
When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded" message, click OK.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online