1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SHDOCLC.DLL error

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by SusiQusi, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SusiQusi

SusiQusi Thread Starter

Hi Computer Whizzes.....I'm hoping that you can help me. I have for the last 2 weeks been getting this error message: res://C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCLC.DLL/dnserror.htm. I have tried to replace the file which I was originally told was missing, but when I try to rename the old SHDOCLC.DLL file or delete it, it tells me that the file is in use by windows. I have tried this in safe mode and a start up, I get the same message. I tried a system restore, but also no go. I tried the http://www.bu.edu/pcsc/internetaccess/winsock2fix.html fix but that has not worked either. Please Im desperate, I wanna throw the machine out the window. It's so frustrating. I hope you can help me thanks. If its any help it happened after I uninstalled some games I downloaded but which one is the culprit.....I don't know. Thanks :)

2. Rache

Rache Banned

Hi and welcome.

have you tried running system file checker (ME doesn't have it),

RUN/ type sfc and replace files as required from os disc.

3. SusiQusi

SusiQusi Thread Starter

No I'm sorry I dont have ME :(

4. Rache

Rache Banned

Good, so you can run sfc (but ALL changed files will show, so choose carefully). It's the 1st thing to try when troubleshooting system file errors.

5. walkeriam

walkeriam

You may want to Un-install any old "Adaware" program first.

Go here and read and follow the instructions. Click to download the LSPfix.exe file to your computer or a floppy then take it to the computer with the problem. Click on that file (LSPfix.exe) and open the program. Put a check mark in "I know what I'm doing" box. Then click "Finish". Re-boot your computer and see if it is fixed. http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

If not, do this:
    If pages in Internet Explorer are coming up blank then Go to START, RUN and Type in "regsvr32 urlmon.dll" without the quotes and click OK. Do the same for all these:
    regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
    regsvr32 msjava.dll
    regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
    regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
    regsvr32 mshtml.dll
    regsvr32 browseui.dll

Then re-boot the computer and see if it is fixed.

Let us know if that works!

6. SusiQusi

SusiQusi Thread Starter

No I tried to run that program from run and it wouldnt let me. I tried the second solution it didnt work. Im not sure I understand how to use the downloaded program, am sacred of making things worse. sigh sorry....

7. SusiQusi

SusiQusi Thread Starter

oh and I dont have an OS disk, which is making things harder bought my computer off a friend.........oh dear

8. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi SusiQusi,
    Try this:
    res://C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCLC.DLL/dnserror.htm

This occurs when the WINSOCK2 Registry Key and TCP/IP stack are not updated after an upgrade of your AOL software -or- if AOL parental control restrictions are set for the current account. This sometimes corrects itself so don't be too hasty.

BE VERY CAREFUL: Using the Windows Registry Editor incorrectly may cause problems that would require you to reinstall Windows!

If you need additional information about Registry editing, select START > Run, type REGEDIT in the RUN dialog window and, using the HELP menu, read the following three articles:

Changing Keys and Values
    Add and Delete Information in the Registry
    Edit Registry Data

Also note that you should back up the Registry before you edit it. If you are running Windows NT or Windows 2000, you should also update your Emergency Repair Disk (ERD).

1. Verify that the AOL Parental Controls are disabled.

2. Remove all network components.
    - Click Start and then Settings.
    - Select Control Panel and then double-click the Network icon.
    - Write down all the settings in Network properties for your LAN and
    Dial-up Networking (DUN) connections.
    - Select each network component and then click Remove.
    (adapters, clients, etc.)
    - DO NOT restart the computer if prompted to do so.

3. Uninstall Dial-up Networking:
    - Click START and the Settings.
    - Select Control Panel and then double-click Add/Remove Programs.
    - On the Windows Setup tab, clear the check box next to the
    Communications entry.
    - DO NOT restart the computer if prompted to do so.

4. Use Registry Editor to locate and remove the following Registry Key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\winsock2

5. Restart the computer:

6. Double-click the AOL icon and let the program rebuild the necessary
    components.

7. Close AOL and then restart the computer.

[​IMG]

9. SusiQusi

SusiQusi Thread Starter

thanks TW56 but that sounds too complicated for me to even understand :( I need "L" plates

10. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Do you use AOL??
    Just try and carefully do each of the suggestions one at a time.

11. SusiQusi

SusiQusi Thread Starter

No Im in Australia I dont use AOL.........I cant lol it scares me I dont have an OS disk so if I stuff up.......Im done for

12. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

13. SusiQusi

SusiQusi Thread Starter

TW56..........I used to and kazaa lite until I got bugs from both.......looking........thanks

14. SusiQusi

SusiQusi Thread Starter

Im sorry TW56 I ran it but after reading the page you suggested I dont know what to do......told you I was dumb.........

15. SusiQusi

SusiQusi Thread Starter

woooooooooooooooooo hoooooooooooooo I love you TW...........I did the san........I had over 101 ........ 01 thingies told it to fix them and yipeeeeeeeeeeee I got my search engines back...........you are a genius ............ thankies :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170919

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice