1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sherlock Holmes - Old Electronic Arts

Discussion in 'Games' started by RI Red, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RI Red

RI Red Thread Starter

I am trying to make an old game by Electronic Arts work on my Windows XP Dell 4400. The game is called "The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes" the case of the Rose Tattoo. When I insert the CD and it provides an install screen, I doubnle click and it errors out - It indicates "The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes was not installed ...." It looks like it is trying to run a file in Windows/Systems32/cmd.exe

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    How old is it? If it's an old MS-DOS game, it may not work.

Did you try the compatibility mode?

3. RI Red

RI Red Thread Starter

Copyright is 1996 !!! I did not try the compatibility mode - Can you explain what that is and how that is used ?

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Looks like an MS-DOS game if CMD.EXE came up. It may not work in Windows XP alone. Compatibility Mode helps old programs work in Windows XP.

To use the compatibility mode, right click the setup.exe file and click propertities.
    Click the Compatibility Tab, then check the Run Program under.... The menu should now be active. Choose the OS you want to run under. WIndows 95 would be the best choice. Apply it and run the setup again.

Now the setup should work, but the program may not. Let me know if it doesn't.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223071

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice