1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

shields up result

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by lee_1133, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lee_1133

lee_1133 Thread Starter

hi i just tested my security using shields up and got a completely clean bill of health apart from 1 thing.... can someone tell me if i can do anything more rectify the message below?

Unsolicited Packets: RECEIVED (FAILED) — Your system's personal security countermeasures unwisely attempted to probe us
    in response to our probes. While some users believe that "tracking down" the source of Internet probes is useful,
    experience indicates that there is little to gain and potentially much to lose. The wisest course of action is to
    simulate nonexistence — which your system has failed to do. Your counter-probes immediately reveal your system's presence
    and location on the Internet.

apart from this i was completely invisable with one test even saying it could not find port 135 at all which was quote "unbelievably secure" or something of that nature

is that normal?

i have blackICE / ad-watch / pop up stopper & windows XP's own firewall on

2. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

I dropped BlackIce in favor of Zone Alarm Pro about three years ago, however I think in the configuration settings you can turn off the reverse probe option. As pointed out, it's wise to do so.

3. BillC

BillC

I've not used Blace Ice, but wonder if you have granted "server" rights to any programs? That would be the first place I'd look.

What I think may have occured is one or more of your programs are "listening" and then "answered the call" sort of speak. I've not grant server rights to any program in my ZAP.

4. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

I go half a step farther. EVERYTHING has to ask for either server rights or access rights before it can access the internet.
    Can it be a pain in the arse? Yep, sometimes it can be, but you get used to it.
    Is it secure? You bet!! (y) (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166907

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice