1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

'shift-del' by accident

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by zeek_i_said, Feb 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeek_i_said

zeek_i_said Thread Starter

For the record: I am Win98 and ME certified and knowledgeable with DOS.
    I am a 'shift-del' freak and was cleaning my desktop, 3 weeks ago and accidentally included my coin logs(I've been working on these for 3.5 years). Being an XP user and knowing XP doesn't use DOS, I thought there was no chance of getting them back; I just found out I was wrong and with the proper tools I can. I never did this before, but so need to. Please help.

UPDATE: A friend referred me to "recuva" yoake a recovery, of about 15 files(MSWord), I got back 2 and one was my buff(buffalo coin) logs. However later I discovered;both files will not open. Windows says, "word cannot find compressor for..." I'm clueless here. Plus after choosing to unhide all files and folders, I ran into 2 files that have the names I lost; but they begin with "~$", only have 1K and the icon is light colored. What is this? Any chance of recovery nof these 4 and others.?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    there are quite a lot of recovery programs available

I have used www.z-a-recovery.com a digital camera free recovery on the site and recovered 100 images off a CF card , so i know some of these work well

From a Elvandil Post
    Here's a list. If the free ones don't see anything, forget the pay ones. I know Pandora is still around and has updated recovery software. And the other day, someone used the Disk Investigator at the bottom, which is meant to show you how much stuff is still on your drive after you thought you cleaned it, and they managed to get all their files back. Dr. Freeware is pretty new and updated not too long ago, with other useful tools, too.

Here's the list, anyway (I have more if you run out :D):

Free recovery applications:

Dr. Freeware Boot CD (also has partition tool, drive cloner and imager)
    DiskDigger & NTFSWalker
    Pandora Recovery (Free for personal use)
    Smart Data Recovery
    Recover Files
    Roadkil's Undelete
    Recuva
    Restoration
    Free Undelete (NTFS only)
    Softperfect File Recovery
    ADRC Data Recovery Tools
    Undelete Plus
    Data Recovery
    PCI File Recovery
    DriveRescue
    Ultimate Data Recovery
    Disk Investigator

Commercial:

O&O Disk Recovery
    Paragon Mount Everything (Mounts any file system, CD/DVD burning, File Manager, Partitioner)
    GetDataBack (For FAT or NTFS)
    Ontrack EasyRecovery Pro
    File Scavenger
    Recover My Files
    RecoverPlus Pro
    Zero Assumption Recovery
    [email protected] File Recovery
    Final Recovery
    Recover4All Professional
    Easeus Data Recovery Wizard
    NTFS Recovery

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/906421

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice