1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Shocked Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Athex, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Athex

Athex Thread Starter

couple months ago I got a free pc which was about 10 years old, and when I stuck in some hard drives, the power cables passed over some of my hard drives and shocked them. They would not run (no hum). And I put them into a different computer today, and they run, but no operating system is found. I have tried installing windows xp and 2000 several times, but everytime when it reboots to continue the setup, it goes back to the begining installation screen.
    Is this fixable or should I throw these hard drives out?

2. rolandk10

rolandk10

make sure when it reboots, it doesn't boot off the windows cd in the cd rom drive. let it boot off the hard drive. to be sure, take out the cd after it starts it's rebot process.

you can try this now by booting the pc without the cd in it and see if it continues setup;.

3. Athex

Athex Thread Starter

tried that.
    "No operating system found"

4. rolandk10

rolandk10

Honestly, if I were you, I would junk them. If you physically saw them get shocked, chances are something got damaged. Even if you were able to get windows installed on them, who knows how stable the drive would be or how long it would last. I picked up a WD 80 GB dirve the other day for 35 bucks.

5. Athex

Athex Thread Starter

One of them was a 200gig hd
    :(

I saw sparks.
    before they woudn't even run, but they will now, and the computer can see that there is a hard drive there during initial setup, so I was really hoping for a way to fix em.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you saw sparks, that's not a good sign! Why are you trying to put a 200gig drive in a 10 year old machine? You surely know the capacity is not supported in a machine that age, right?

7. prunejuice

prunejuice

I can't even comprehend attempting something like that.

Was the machine running when you tried plugging in the drives?

8. Athex

Athex Thread Starter

Well, it showed up at 120gig which was good enough for me temporarily. The machine itsself would run. But I scrapped that, and got a 3 year old one recently.

9. onedavester

onedavester

What you have there is a couple of paper weights.

10. Lurker1

Lurker1

So now you have a three year old computer right? Does the hard drive show up correctly in the computers bios? If so I would download the hard drives manufacturers test to check out the drives. If you are lucky you may only have had sparks to the grounded frame of the hard drive.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488601

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice